advise on shrimp

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Arries, 4 Jul 2011.

1. Arries

Arries

Hey all...well yesterday I bought a boxer shrimp...added I'm into my tank after dripping him in 4 about an hour...looked happy and was moving between the rocks ect...this mornin I c the guy just lying there looks like he is dead...but as I came closer I could c thet his 'gills' are still moving...so he isn't dead yet but also not moving...did I do something wrong or is he in shock or wot...and wots the ideal water conditions 4 shrimp?Any advise will be grately appreciated...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Usually it is best to research an invert/coral/fish before you buy to find out if you can keep it and see to it's needs, etc.
    What are your water parameters?
    Read the link on acclimatisation in my signature to see if you did the same.

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey mate. All inverts are sensitive to changes in parameters thats why they must be acclimated for about 3-4hours. One hour is just not long enough. Perhaps he will pull through.. Try leaving a small piece of shrimp by him. Perhaps if he starts to eat he may pull through.. In future you must acclimate shrimp, snails, lobsters etc for about 3-4 hours.. We all make mistakes and not like you knew :)

5. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Does all inverts really have to be acclimatised that long, I know they are more sensitive but do they really need to be acclimatised that long?

I ask because I did not drip acclimatise my arrow crab and my starfish, I just threw some water in every five minutes for about a hour. And they are still alive. I did drip my shrimps for about two hours though.

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Yip inverts are very sensitive to changes in water parameters, maybe you just got lucky with the others.

7. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

inverts are sensitive and rather drip. rather wait an extra hour or two then have a dead invert. I made the mistake once and will never again.

8. Elrond

Elrond

I lost 2 shrimp after doing 2-3 hour drips and now don't do anything less than overnight just to be safe. Fish and corals are fine over 2-3 hours. 1 hour is wayyyyy too short for inverts. Sorry dude.

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol I also just throw some water in every now and then but I do it over many hours. Lol I know Im wrong but Im just lazy to go to the pet shop and buy airline hose

10. Elrond

Elrond

I believe they react mostly to changes in salinity. So if you tested the water the specimen came in and then compared it to your own, you could problably work it out...

Crabs.... pfffft... dont get me started on crabs!

Reef Maniac likes this.
  11. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

12. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Very good advice here :thumbup:

Hennie

13. Meneer

Meneer

If you have 1 shrimp in a 2 liter bag full of water - overnight might cut it.

If you throw out most of the water so you have enough to cover the shrimp, a 2 hour drip should be fine.
    The more water you have initially, the more hours you need.

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

often the pet shops water has a low salinity. I remember someone said he bought a fish and tested the SG and it was 1.015 or 18

15. Keanan

Keanan 2time

:lol:Now i have the airline tubing and everything except the patients to get the right drip/s a second and wait that long.:blush:

Forgot to mention that the salinity that the shrimps and everything else was in, was the same as mine.

Perkys Pets dont take short cuts.:thumbup:

Last edited: 4 Jul 2011
  16. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Thanks K. :)

I found out ages ago the shrimps hate the salinaty changes , so we prepair our salinaty to 1.20 , which is what they are always imported to us in at.

We can get them in the tanks in a hour with no problems.

Over the next few weeks the salinaty is taken up to more acceptible standareds .

Many costimers will remember me asking "; what is your salinaty ? " and i usualy have a tank with shrimps at a clase salinaty as theres and will sugest choosing from that tank.

My one concern is not many people mention that when dripping for so many hours, rather put the drip bag / container in the sump or the tempriture of the Bag / container will drop to room tempriture - the reintroduction into the tank after so many hours can then kill them from tempriture shock even though salinaty is perfect...

17. Braco

Braco

Thanks guys...i have always had issues acclimatizing any kind of shrimp..i will keep this in mind concerning the salinity and temperature..;)

Recent Posts