Advise on fox coral (Nemenzophyllia turbida)

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by 2balive, 23 Sep 2011.

1. 2balive

2balive

I bought a beautiful pale yellow/white fox coral (Nemenzophyllia turbida) a month ago.

Most sources say that it should be kept at low to moderate lights or even indirect light and that it turns brown under strong, direct light.

Not wanting it to turn brown and hoping to keep the pale yellow colour, I placed it in a are of moderate, directional changing flow with about 2/3 of it being shaded by the LR and 1/3 getting direct light.

It is doing vey well, expanding nicely during the day and has kept its colour. When I look at it however it is clear that the bit in the "sun" is expanding more and open up, while the bit in the shade still expands, but keeps its "lobes" closed.

Will it be OK like this, or will the shaded bit "go hungry"?

PS. Photos not the best, extremely difficult to get the white balance right with its colour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Fox phoo

Played with the light on iPhoto, better closeup photo of the fox coral.

[​IMG]

4. lIghty

lIghty

Looks bleached to me, Whats your Iodine level?

As for light, I would give it a bit more light too.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

yeah it would do good with more light... Strong direct light is like being high up directly under a MH

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

ok lol just checked your thread. Yeah you can bring the coral out into the light.. I keep my LPS on the bottom of the tank under MH's and they are doing good. No problem there

7. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Hope not, choose it for its colour. Found a few pix on the internet of foxes with this pale white/yellow colour (it is referred to as translucent white).

I don't test Iodine, does 15% a week water changes with Red Sea Pro salt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

I am away for another two weeks, will move it when I get back, out more into the light. It should (or at least 1/3 of it) be acclimatised to the light by then.

My donut did not mange the sudden light intensity and was about on the same level, :( but looks like it will pull through.

9. lIghty

lIghty

Fox's are normally not really "pale/translucent" form what I've seen, they should be more of a good cream colour.

With a 15% WC, iodine should be ok, try increase the light level.

10. Achilles

Achilles

Have to agree that the fox coral is bleached that is not their healthy colour they are usually brown, tan , they do ok with subdued lighting though so it may recover where it is

There are 2 bleached corals in your photo, i would give it more light but not raise it just bring it out of the shadow they dont want intense light even too much light can cause corals to bleach - bleach = stress = too much light or too little , incorrect water params, element deficiency, starving, pathogen

Last edited: 23 Sep 2011
  11. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Thanks, will see how it looks when I get back. If it is bleach I hope it recovers, if not, I hope it stays this colour.

Was worried that it may have been dyed when I bought it due to the yellow tint in it, but it still there a month later, so probable not?

One of the last two photo's I posted is from a fairly respected shop called Aquatic Connection (assume it is OK to post international LFS?) http://www.aquacon.com/images/lps.html. They describe the colour as "It is a peaceful coral with white to pale green polyps and which are quite large, extending two to three times the width of its skeleton during the day."

12. Achilles

Achilles

As respected as they are if they are, that isnt a good description as they fail to mention its dominant colour if one looks at google images has hints of cream brown - tan green

13. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Thought I would give an update on this coral. Have had it now for more than 7 months. It is still the original pale yellow color.

It is not doing great, although it will expand somedays, most days it remains fairly closed and looks very fragile. I sometime think that I will lose it if my tanks' parameters goes of a bit, for a day.

All the other corals in tank is doing great.

I have pushed up the nitrate and phosphate levels a bit to see it it will help, but running it very, very low or with some present does not seam to make a difference. Also feed a variety of of food, including different sizes of plankton, again this does not seam to make a different.

I have seen quite a few of these yellow foxes in LFS last year. Has anyone that bought them manage to get them to survice and/or thrive?

Help wil be appreciated, absolutely hate to loos a coral.

14. Arries

Arries

@Len i dont have a fox coral but my tank is 90% LPS and since u running low nutrients try Red Sea Reef Energy A & B...Since i started dosing that stuff all my corals Expands more and looks much more happy..I can see a serious diffrence in my LPS since dosing it..I tried various supplenents ect..But these looks to be the winner..
    Anyway just throwing my 2c in....Nice tank BTW...:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks @Arries

I have heard lots of praises for Red Sea Reef Energy A & B.

I have just switch for the Prodibio 3 vial combo (was happy with it) to Special Blend. Don't know if it is just because it is new, but corals very happy with SB, looks like the puff up when I add it and lots of feeding tentacle that pops out.

It is just one that seams to be immune to anything I add or do.

Originally thought it was dyed, but surely it should have worked the dye out after such a long time?

Weirded, I have never had a coral that just hangs in there by a thread for so long, it is as if it has an impared immunity?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts