Advise on Algae

Reaction score
Hi There Everyone

I need some advise on Algae in the last weeks weeks i have had two type of Algae growing. One bron one that looks kind of hairy then one Algae that is bright red and waxy looking is this bad . I have red up on the red one and the books say they are good for the tank.

Any thoughts

hmmm thats a welcome return of a very fast fish:)

hello again zoom:)

pics sweety, we need pics. actually no we dont, but we like them none the less.

Yes Yes its been a while things have been hectic but I am getting there, I thought you had gone to be already...
So how are things on the other side of the world.

Camera is on the blink...Dropped it last week:chatterbox: Not cool. I have been redding up but i can't find any pictures on bad algae on the forum.

well the red stuff sounds like cyno bacteria to me, what sort of flow do you have in the tank, try point a power head down and see if it blows away easily.

how are your water paremeters, algae would suggest you still battling a little, do you have RO or are you buying from LFS?

Masahello
Posted via Mobile Device

I am using RO Water . I thought that the red Algae was good should I scrub the rocks.I you move the power head over the algaeit does not blow away but if you touch it wipes away , This has only started in the last two weeks.
I am doing water cahnges once a month now.

Sounds like part of the cycle, how old is the tank?
Posted via Mobile Device

Diatoms3.jpg

Okay this looks like one of the algae growing on various rock in the tank

Should I take out the rocks and scrub them

This a form of diatom algae. How old is your tank.

Generally this algae is caused from cycling and burns itself out, once your parameters cycle down to the correct levels

I was doing water change every two weeks and then i changed to once a month should i change back two two weeks.

NO2 is 0
N03 is still 50

Zoom your parameters are cool for a tank that is cycling i would say try to change water every 2 weeks, That algae is a type of diatom it is rather hardy but if you keep your nutrient levels down it will subside and die off on its own. the key is diligence and patience. Also Play around with your photo period a lot of guy's neglect the fact that light also plays a major role in the stability of a tank, My preferance during the cycling stage is a few hours in the morning then a few hours in the evening and slowly lengthening your photo period till it is at the desired time. Good luck

I was doing water change every two weeks and then i changed to once a month should i change back two two weeks.

NO2 is 0
N03 is still 50

Your Nitrate levels are too high. This is a potential cause of your algae/ problem.
You need to get the Nitrates down to 5-10 ppm.

IMO with a Nano it is best to keep to weekly waterchanges.
In this way you are also exporting excess nutrients (nitrates , phosphates etc.), replenishing calcium ,iodine and other trace elements and you are diluting/ridding the system of a potential build up of toxins and other metabolites.

The algae / cyano issue you are having at present will also be greatly helped ( reduced to an extent) by means of weekly waterchanges

I'd say 10-15% waterchange in a weekly basis is much better than 20-30% once a month.

Zoom , just remind me again how long has your tank been running ?
Any livestock at present ?

Back
Top Bottom