Advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bflynn, 20 Nov 2013.

1. Bflynn

Bflynn

Anybody had experience with cold water macroalgae species in a tropical marine tank?

I am having issues getting macros anywhere. MASA members dont seem to have any algae in their tanks........very clean:thumbup:. Im going to Hermanus side round December, and thinking of collecting macros in some rock pools. I dont want to take anything if it is not going to survive in my tank. I would prefer warmer water species though.

Any advice @Charl Stanhope?

Last edited: 20 Nov 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SteveZi

SteveZi

You can try Caulerpa filliformis. I grow it in my sump, it does quite well.

4. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Thanks @SteveZi

Is it this? How long have you grown it and how deep did you collect?

3774918250_4_Strap-caulerpa-Caulerpa-filiformis-000.jpg

3774918250_4_Strap-caulerpa-Caulerpa-filiformis-000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. SteveZi

SteveZi

yes that's it - strap caulerpa. You can collect it in shallow water in sandy gullies, but it also grows a bit deeper, I'd say 0-3m depth. Pieces wash up on the shore sometimes and you can just stick it into the substrate.
    Are you planning a planted tank?

6. SteveZi

SteveZi

these pics show growth over 10days in a smaller tank I had:

27092013624.jpg

09102013626.jpg

7. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

@SteveZi

Shot for the pics!!! I am planning a planted tank! And looking really forward to getting it going now. I just read your tidal pool tank thread, pretty awesome!! Was a nice project. Im gona do some snorkiling and collecting in Franskraal, Pearly Beach over the holidays. Taking a tank and skimmer along as a temporary setup for holding fish, if I find any warm species. Also some macro's! Ive seen some Butterfly sp and Damsels sp in the area in the summer months. So im hoping to find some good stuff.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2013
  8. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

What other intertidel goodies will survive temps in my tank longterm in your opinion? Tank temp 26c.

9. SteveZi

SteveZi

Your best bet would be to stick with the warmer water fish species if you find some. You can defnitely expect some seargent majors and spot damsels and later in summer even some Moorish idols. Also some marleyi butterflies of course. if I can give you some advice on the macro algaes - don't break any pieces off and try to grow that. Try and get small plants on small pieces of rock. I've also tried some of the codium species but they only last a few months. But don't take any big "plants", search for small ones. The strap caulerpa is different, you can even use picese you pick up on th beach.
    Good luck and keep posting on what you find!

10. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

I will most def post pictures in cape town catches thread (should be Western Cape Catches) when I have them.
    Thanks for all your help!!:thumbup:

11. pkc

pkc

I use a form of racemosa that stresses at 25c and dies 26c but is an unbelievable importer of nutrients and being a caulerpa and single celled, it also leaches converted elements via photosynthesis that are essential for coral growth.
    They are strontium, amino acids and a multitude of vitamins and more.

If you go to use caulerpa check the caulerpa species forms thickness and by squashing one and see if its contents are extensive, if so then it will be an excellent importer.
    The more room inside the algae, the more work it does because more absorption is achieved.
    The species I use, we found out accidentally that it dies from 25c up by my use of it once my wife found some, yeh she found it!

We found a house block sized area of it a month or so later on at a club collecting trip and some of the guys got some and as summer came along all of theirs died and mine was following closely.
    I thought something was in there eating it as it seemed to be just disappearing for no other reason, so it took my algae area a part and put the tiny amount still alive of that algae in my tubes that had a chiller going for them due to my latz in there, the larz as adults suffer from 25c up.

This was found by accident and the algae thrived in there for that short time, so once I found this was going on, we went on a collecting trip to that spot of abundant algae of that species and it was all gone, not a trace left.
    Our bay waters from when I found two months earlier, were now at 25c to 27c, it had all died off????
    The area it does its best in was very educational as well, but that’s another lesson learnt.

From all this I learnt the hard way and my tank life, as in sps suffered severe losses due to it being based on the algae protecting my waters, which it was dumfounding how well it was doing it, till the temps went up.
    Now I would never rely on algae again unless I can keep my temps where they are.
    Heater at 23c chiller at 24c.
    From this with no water changes or skimmer, my tank life being partly protected by that racemosa, is absolutely amazing.
    At this temp range all life can coexist, just!

12. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Thanks @pkc! I will most def try and get some caulerpa recemosa for my tank. I am doing a planted tank if I can get enough Algae sp together. Might add a coral or two later.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts