Advice to newbies

Reaction score
Hi All

I've been on MASA for a few months now and totally enjoyed every second of it. I've learnt so much its unbelievable. Im actually helping the person who got me into marines because of MASA and just thought id thank all the members for their inputs. The main reason for this thread is to warn newbies before setting up a tank. Become more active on MASA and ask questions. READ through the members setups to have an idea of what you like or to get an idea where you want your tank to be. I was a newbie too and when i made the purchase I thought it was gonna be sufficient. It wasnt. I've currently got two tanks, the initial purchase and the cube which I will setup soon. I've got all the equipment but just need to setup. The reason for delaying is that i have to move my current tank first. Anyway if you are new to this site you will see lotsa members upgrading or moving tanks and its the norm here. Thats why i say plan. Decide on what you want to keep because this decides tank size, lighting etc Im still in the learning process of keeping marines and trust me its one of the most interesting and delightful things ever. ive seen a few members setups on MASA and they all would say that MASA helped them out alot. There is so much to say when it comes to marines, you can actually write books about it. The LFS, just be careful thats all ill say. Now lets wait for more inputs from other members. Good Luck;)

Its not just about upgrading its also about some bad judgement calls at the time of initial setup. I only wish I had been a member 2 years ago then so many mistakes that are now so difficult to reverse would have been avoided.

I am officailly a MAsaholic and loving every minute:yeahdude:and despite being in the hobby for more than 10 years I learn everyday - I still qualify myself as a NOOB.

More than that I actually get to meet new people in the flesh that I would have never met before facing the same challanges and delights that I experience everyday.

I only miss a club or gathering of some sort in Cape Town along the lines of the ones happening in Durban and JHB.

No inputs warr. you have been down that road to. Upgrading I mean!!!

Most people would say that you should plan actually what you think you will want, but as human nature would have it, we will always want something better or bigger.

Another thing is the scheming and planning is half the fun of this insane hobby.

But I totally agree on your planning your livestock and get as much advice and research before doing something ridiculous as Tang into Nanos ;)

Are you ok there Jacques or just speed readin?

Sorry KEYAAM - this time correct.... speedreading....
It works like this - my brain works at around 100 million miles per hour...
My eyes, at around 100 miles per hour...
My fingers: at around 1 mile per hour....
Now - IMAGINE trying to get THAT together!

another bit of advice i can give being a newbie all over again, is dont let the cost scare you as well as all the funny reactors etc you will hear about and need, there is always a DIY option and plenty here to help :)

my whole setup is DIY and everything is possible if you have the time and patience which are 2 pre-requisites needed for this ultimate hobby...

Sorry KEYAAM - this time correct.... speedreading....
It works like this - my brain works at around 100 million miles per hour...
My eyes, at around 100 miles per hour...
My fingers: at around 1 mile per hour....
Now - IMAGINE trying to get THAT together!

you could follow your finger across the screen?

HUH? It's TOUGH trying to SLOW MYYYY BBBRRRAAAIIINNN DDDOOOOWWWNNNN to fit the speed of my fingers typing...
Now - everyone has ALWAYS ASKED how I type so fast?
My fingers CONSTANTLY trying to play "catch up" with me eyes and brain...

To get back on topic....

Guys - there's a Cape Town Reefkeepers Club as well....

Wait until Muz get's back - he has gone to climb mount Kilimanjaro to raise money for the next IMACSA, to be held in Cape Town.... He is the chairman of the CTRC.....

We will soon have our next CTRC meeting..... you are all MORE than welcome to join in (I represent the CTRC here on MASA - as he tries to stay neutral)...

What's Valium Warr? I think a few BREWSKIES too does the job, hey! I think for our dear departed (to colder regions) friend, dem those brewksies might have worked TOO well! LOL!
Nah - perhaps just a FEW glasses of red wine... me love me red wine..

Back
Top Bottom