Advice to a newcomer...

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to start up my first marine tank and obviously I'm getting different opinions and preferences from individual manufacturers regarding equipment. I have run cichlid tanks in the past successfully, but this is a new ball game and I'm always willing to listen and learn...

I'm considering a 1000 litre rectangular build, low iron(starphire) glass on 3 viewing panels. Open top, rimless design. Sump filtration.

I would appreciate input from your own experiences regarding the models, sizes and specs needed for:

1. Return pump
  2. Flow pumps
  3. Heater
  4. Overflow(s) and position
  5. UV Steriliser - Yes or No?
  6. UV Pump - Yes or No?
  7. Lighting - T5 or LED?
  8. Protein skimmer
  9. Bio-pellet reactor or refugium?
Looking forward to your responses

Regards
J

Welcome to MASA :thumbup:

It's always best to get a Skimmer rated double your tank size. But it all depends on how high your bio load is. Rather get a good brand name rather than a cheapie. Even second hand is fine.

Lighting - what do you want to keep? Just fish? Fish and coral? What types of corals?

@TaahirS

Perhaps I should have mentioned that yes.. Live reef tank with fish..

Can you suggest a good brand skimmer?

I will be purchasing all the equipment new.

Thanks
J

Welcome to MASA!

Best is to start with what you want to keep (hard corals, softies etc), then design system around that. There are a lot of methods to keep a successful reef so being faced with all the different types of equipment can be rather daunting.
Two important things to consider are also budget and how much time do you want to invest in your tank. Depending on what you keeping and what equipment you have will determine how much maintenance you do (cost and time).

Reef octopus
Deltec
Red devil
Bubble magus
Tunze
These are all good skimmers

As for lighting T5 Is more expensive in terms of running costs. You have to replace the globes at least once a year and the electricity consumption is more. If you can I would suggest getting a hybrid unit. Led and T5.

Back
Top Bottom