Advice tank size & basic requirements

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by emteey, 5 May 2010.

1. emteey

emteey

Hi,

I have decided to start the reef I set out to do when I joined this forum. Due to unforeseen circumstances I had to put the idea on ice for a while.

Please give me your advice/suggestions on the following basic ideas:

DT: 1220 (L) x 700 (B) x 500 (Water height); is the 700 (B) too much???? and the 500 (Water height) not enough???
    Sump: 1000 (L) x 500 (B) x 400 (Water height); is this big enough???

What return pump (brand & power) would you recommend?

What skimmer would best suit this size setup (approx 620l)?

What sort of stand should I construct? One similar to ScubsNinja? 38mm square tubing with loads of support braces?

Look forward to hearing from you ...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Hi there emteey, you can have a look at my tank, it is almost the exact dimensions that you suggest (1300x700(W)x600(H) and water level at 550, just click on my signature.

As for return pump, it really depends on what your budget allows for, Aqua medic ocean runner, tunze silence, eheim and a few others will be the better and more expensive option, look for something +/-3000L/ph

4. PeterL

PeterL

The stand construction idea makes me smile because I work in an engineering firm and thought I would check with a structural engineer...I have had fresh water tanks in the past too before marine and the stands are no different - just the look of some are different.

So I went along to this engineer and showed him the current design (of which he had no idea was actually holding my tank fully loaded), his design came back with cross-bracing and vertical bracing all over the place. This stand would have withheld an atomic explosion next to it and everything, including the cockaroaches would have been atomised but this stand would have been going strong.

I have also seen stands build from 25mm angle iron which also hold tanks...Not cool, super flimsy.

Have a look see at a few stands, it isn't actually difficult to fabricate one yourself using the correct materials - way cheaper then buying one and loads more fun. Just be sure that it is going to be strong enough...Or just buy one which is easier. Something to keep in mind, if you want to one day go with wave makers and so on, you will need to ensure the structural strength in axial loading

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

if u make it, just test it out before use... :whistling: last thing u want is for it to break under the filled tank :(

6. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

Thanks for pointing out your thread Singularity, it sounds like I have the same set up as you in mind! I have posted a few questions for you on your thread. Cheers!

7. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

I am thinking of doing it myself, save some bucks you know. But that exact thought keeps haunting me, maybe it is worth while paying someone to do it?

8. PeterL

PeterL

Here's the thing, either you can weld well or you can't. If you aren't confident in your welding then get someone else to make it or buy one, the cost of a tank crashing under a failed frame just isn't worth it so you do need to be certain that what you build, you build proper.

Validate a design you may have prior to even buying the materials, going bigger and unorthadox is not specifically wrong - when last did you hear of someone saying that their stand was too strong and it is going to be a problem??

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

find out how much ull be saving... if its worth it then get the welding done by some1 who knows how to :) ... that will give u some piece of mind.. u can just put some extra supports

10. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

Well I know I can't weld. So I will buy the material after I am certain the stand design is good enough, and I agree zombie clan, with the fact that too strong is no problem. I would ensure that my design had "too many" supports, or that the materials were stronger than necessary. It is the tank that I am concerned about. I think I will start a DIY thread to as questions around the design of a stand and the tank.

11. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

Tremayn & zombie clan: what systems are you running?

12. PeterL

PeterL

I am running a 250L reef tank, or as some would call it - a 4ft tank.
    My frame is made of 25mm square tubing and showing no signs of breaking any time soon.

In saying that, I am not intending on installing wave makers which could give "sway" to my tank, have a look at the pics on my profile and you see what is in my tank - it has a fair loading to the frame and standing strong.

13. PeterL

PeterL

I am not guru with tanks at all so I would certainly advise that you open a thread for the glass build, it could double up for the stand build too

14. emteey

emteey Thread Starter

Done! Thanks.

Recent Posts