Advice - Restarting RSM 250

Reaction score
Hi All

I have an RSM 250 that has been gathering dust for the last couple of years and thought I would clean it up to sell, but now I think I should keep it and get it up and running again just want to see if getting it up again is within budget - and somehow convince the wife ;).

I previously shut the tank down as I had to start travelling quite a lot and for 2 weeks to 2 months at a time so was not able to keep up the maintenance of the tank, I now no longer travel so this won't be an issue.

I have gone into one LFS, unfortunately they were not too familiar with the RSM 250 and I wasn't really prepped with questions to ask.

While cleaning the tank and equipment I found that the Skimmer and the RS Flow 1350 pump don't work, I believe new impellers are needed for both (but not 100% sure), but at least for the skimmer I may as well buy a new skimmer as I could never really get the standard skimmer to work 100% so would anyways rather look at something that's easier/better than the standard one.
So for a skimmer I have been looking at:
  • Tunze 9004 (worried its a bit under powered? But have seen people are happy with this - I see the DC one can handle 300l (is it worth it) but would this work on my setup with a Profilux controller?)
  • Bubble Magus Z Series (not 100% sure it will fit and not sure on quality)
Have not looked at replacements for the RS Flow 1350 - any suggestions that wont break the bank?

The other pump is still working fine so no need to replace it yet.

I also need all the filter material and was wondering if there is a different setup that I can go for or is keeping the standard setup (hope this makes sense), which contains:
  • Bubble trap foam
  • Mechanical pre-filter
  • Carbon filter
  • Fine filter cartridge (I have)
  • Biological filter
Is the bubble trap and mechanical course or fine?
- i.e. have not been able to find the red sea specific filter replacements online, but have seen some other makes - any suggestions on other brands?

Just to give you guys an idea, I also have:
  • Profilux 3.1N
    • Temp
    • pH
    • Cond
    • Dali (hood has been converted to dimmable ballasts)
    • Optical level sensor
  • Heater
  • Jebao DP-4 Auto Dosing Pump
  • Jebao WP-25 Wave Maker

Is there anything else I need (besides chiller)?

Thanks,
Rob

RiaanP

Reaction score
Sorry for no replies.

On the pumps that do not work. Normally pumps that was just taken out of saltwater and stored, their impellers get sticky onto the shaft. So they are stuck on hard.

Take out the impeller and check first if can spin freely on the shaft. Might need to hammer it so softly to get the shaft loose. The shaft are ceramic so very brittle and extremely easy to break. Did this last night successfully.

Reaction score
No worries, thanks for your reply, will give it a try - although worried I will break the shaft - I can be heavy handed :m28:

Reaction score
@RiaanP thanks so much, both pumps are now working, however the Skimmer shaft is not loose, but works now after a couple of knocks with a hammer (the other pump had a metal shaft and that is loose now)

Just need to find a rubber seal for the skimmer cup part, then make the call to keep or sell

RiaanP

Reaction score
Picture of the cup?

Reaction score
@RiaanP thanks so much, both pumps are now working, however the Skimmer shaft is not loose, but works now after a couple of knocks with a hammer (the other pump had a metal shaft and that is loose now)

Just need to find a rubber seal for the skimmer cup part, then make the call to keep or sell
Hi Rob, from my observation of the skimmer, it looks like its a normal o-ring that you are referring to. Any hardware store should stock that size.

As for the skimmer, it does work well but it is highly dependent on the level of the water in your sump (adjusted by the surface skimmer). An atu helped me maintain the correct water levels for the skimmer to work 100%. It does however take a day or two to break in.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@RiaanP pic attached not sure if helpful (red circle indicates missing part - top part is the cup, bottom is the skimmer body)

@Suniel will check them, last time I was there they didn't have spares for the pumps (all I really asked about though)

@koganm cool, will check out the hardware stores. I thought an ATU setup would help

Attachments

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
Can also go to a pool place and look there. Even if the O-ring is not the exact right size, can cut it with a Stanley knife and glue together again with super glue.

Reaction score
Rob, you not keen on drilling a hole for overflow and using a sump? - gives you flexibility to use any skimmer and also introduce refugium for nutrient export, pod growth etc - I'm sure its been done before so should be plenty examples/ideas around best option.

Reaction score
@RiaanP pic attached not sure if helpful (red circle indicates missing part - top part is the cup, bottom is the skimmer body)

@Suniel will check them, last time I was there they didn't have spares for the pumps (all I really asked about though)

@koganm cool, will check out the hardware stores. I thought an ATU setup would help
Yep that's just an o-ring. Agree with @hotdog83 .

I would go as far as to say that an ATU is a must. With all of the fans in a RSM250, its difficult to manually maintain constant water levels. You can even build one yourself (Its what I did since I am working on a budget).

Based on your initial post, I see that you realise the need for a chiller. I would like to confirm that need. without the chiller, my tank ran at 31 degrees constantly and peaked at 32. One thing you could do is turn the rear fans around so that the air flows into the tank as opposed to out. Firstly, your fans last longer because the salt water does not get into contact with internals of the fan and depending on your ambient temp, it assists in cooling as well...

Reaction score
@Wizard$ I did think about that when I first had the tank running, but didn't really look too much into it and wasn't too comfortable with doing so as I had no clue where to start - suppose that's what these forums are for :m14:
I did see this thread the other day and liked the look, but now the skimmer pump is working, I would rather for now setup an ATU and see how it goes

@koganm was thinking of building it myself as well
Good point on turning the fans around, will keep that in mind

Busy doing costings to get it up and running again as I am on a tight budget (stupid issues at the house needing fixing and wedding to pay for), but will try look at getting a couple of things a month to get going

Reaction score
Agreed, if your equipment is working then most economical option is to leave as is. Plus plenty examples of successful implementations and mods on various forums
I bought USB powered Arctic Fans to cool my 130, but they may not be enough for your 250 (I really don't like chillers)
I take it you have a RODI unit, etc as well?

Reaction score
@Wizard$ I did think about that when I first had the tank running, but didn't really look too much into it and wasn't too comfortable with doing so as I had no clue where to start - suppose that's what these forums are for :m14:
I did see this thread the other day and liked the look, but now the skimmer pump is working, I would rather for now setup an ATU and see how it goes

@koganm was thinking of building it myself as well
Good point on turning the fans around, will keep that in mind

Busy doing costings to get it up and running again as I am on a tight budget (stupid issues at the house needing fixing and wedding to pay for), but will try look at getting a couple of things a month to get going
I just set my RSM250 up so I understand the need for costing. My tank was started with bleached dry rock with the intention of starting of on a clean slate. If you decide to go the same route, I will happily seed your rock (as we know, live rock can be expensive), you can even use some of my Nutrifin cycle to get the process started if you decide otherwise.

Good luck

RiaanP

Reaction score
Filters you can get in Midarnd at Puritech

Last edited: