advice please

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by oceanic boy, 14 Sep 2011.

1. oceanic boy

oceanic boy

Hi guys and gals...

I have a new marine tank. Size-650x650x350. The only equipment for the sump i have is the return pump and ts1 skimmer... I wanted to put a reacto but people are telling me to rather do a dsb or a refug.. Which would be better from the 3? If the reactor is the answe then what reactor do i buy?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Hi oceans 22. It really depends on what type of corals you want to keep, how many fish you want etc...

I tend to promote reactors and other filtration methods but some people still stick with the deep sand bed with good results. Let's see what other people have to say though.

There are only about 10 people that can see this thread because it is in a private forum. If you want more replies I could move your thread to an open forum.

4. Dlaria

Dlaria

I'm a noob, but this fellow's channel has instructions and reviews of setups and equipment.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/newyorksteelo

Here's one he did on filtration systems and he's got good ones on setup, HOB refugeums, sumps, etc. refugeums...
    http://youtu.be/MgVaM4sCYqw

I like the HOB and dsb. It was easier for me and I don't worry about a pump going out and ending up with water all over the floor.
    http://youtu.be/5Gnk-cikD-Q

He's got 102 videos uploaded there. He covers nano's and large tanks.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2011
  5. Tony

Tony

I'm the more keep it simple person. The cube is nice and the equipment is totally dependant on what you want to keep. What return pump did you buy and how many litres per hour will it do? What overflow have you made? The skimmer is fine and overated for your tank but that's not a problem. Your tank is small so you have to be careful what fish you put in there. No tangs or large fish.

I'm not sure what reactor you will need as there are many kinds but they arent necessary to run things. They're a nice to have. You can get reactors for carbon, phosphate removers, bio pellets and zeolites but you can also put carbon, phosphate remover in a mesh bag. The zeolites and bio pellets are another thing altogether but not necessary unless you are looking for no nutrients and want to keep things like SPS corals.

The DSB is entirely up to you but I personally dont use them. They do help with nitrate reduction but it needs to be big enough to make and impact. Refugiums are good for macroalgae growth and p.H stabilisation but if you are on a budget and trying to keep electricity costs down, I wouldnt go this route as a refugium involves light over macroalgae which allows it to photosynthesise and use the nutrients in your water to grow. You then remove part of the alga which allows you to reduce nutrients.

Personally, and i know a lot of guys disagree with me I have no DSB, no reactors except for one I use for carbon and a good skimmer. I dose with bacteria or probiotics and vodka and this allows me to have low nutrients in my tank. I dont have much live rock and it's all base rock with an aragonite substrate and that's it.

The thing to do is to listen to what everyone has to say and figure out which route your time and money allows you to do.

hermie likes this.
  6. Tony

Tony

See my reply in the private forum

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Cube sump setups are a little bit tricky compared to longer and narrow sumps. But the do work. I believe in DSB filtration, cheaper to set up and also like the fact that its natural. But there is soo much you can do. Search MASA for examples.

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

If you got the space for a nice big DSB then that will work, It should have around the same area as your DT. Tony and I dose a bacteria source and vodka, so far it works really good. We are both using prodibio biodigest which is a good quality bacteria additive and reasonably priced and then of course vodka is cheap as chips and a bottle last long. It allows the skimmer to pull out a lot more gunk than without it

Recent Posts