Advice Please

Discussion in 'Fish Only Tanks, Predator Tanks' started by Aziz, 10 Jan 2008.

1. Aziz

Aziz

Hi all, is it true that its more difficult to run a fish only tank than a reef. I lost so far yellow tang, 3 emporer angels, 1 three spot angel, bicolor angel, 1 maroon clown, i think that it

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aziz

Aziz Thread Starter

i have at the moment a fox face, 2 tomato clown, niger triger, and some other type of rabbit.

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

Have you cycled your tank ?

How old is your setup ? :thumbup:

5. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Aziz, we would need some info to help

What size tank, how long has it been running when you started stocking.
    What filtration
    How fast/slow did you stock.
    What substrate/rock etc is in the tank
    Water parameters

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi aziz.... sorry to hear about your loss....

Here's my opinion on this:
    - I think that it's a combination of things of why we loose fish so much...
    1) the way that fish are caught and distributed and shipped and cared for (at all the points between the sea and our tanks)
    2) a case of the fish not being acclimitized decently at all points between the sea and our tanks
    3) a case of our tanks possibly having FAR too much current, forcing the fish (who might already be undernourished) to exert themselves TOO much and then die (perhaps having a decent "quarantine" setup or second tank to get the fish to feed first, before we place them in our main tanks...
    4) stress by other types of fish, which the type of fish we are adding are not used to competing with in nature (fish are nasty - they are extremely territorial - the can chase each other until death)
    5) all of the above - then added that the fish might not eat as well as they should, and they easily get infected with all sorts of illnesses - which infect ALL the fish in our tanks - because of the closed system - resulting in global deaths and not only the deaths of one or two fish

That's my thoughs on this.... and I HAVE to agree - keeping corals are MUCH easier than keeping fish alive..... such a sorry state of afairs as fish are dying off....

Sorry - but I did not "assist/give advice" in any way.....

I agree with Kanga - it would help if you give us more information - also, have you added any fish recently? Have you changed anything else in your tank recently (lighting, filtration, replaced substrate, water, water temperature, added any other hardware) etc??

7. Aziz

Aziz Thread Starter

well my tank is 1 year old 1.5L 600w 750h. including sump 1.1L 450 450. aragonite substrate, 4x 2000l/h power heads 2x3000l/h uplift. prizim pro skimmer. dsb and about 50kg of live rock that i think i have killed after the first out break of flukes. there is however some new pieces of live rock. and i do get to see some criters walking around my tank. ok lights im trying to change i have 2x t5 white and one blue t8 .

8. jacquesb

Thanks Aziz - where did the new live rock come from? Please try something for me - take one power-head off and manually use the power-head to blow directly on the live rock - do you see a LOT of crap coming out the the live rock?

Also, what are your water parameters at this stage? Do you have comparison figures from before adding the live rock, to after the fish started dying off?
    ie. what's your pH? nitrate? ammonia? nitrite? water temperature levels?

9. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

When did, you "kill" the rock could be a cycle now that you got new rock

What are your water paramaters, mainly Ammonia, Nitrate, nitrite and PH

10. Aziz

Aziz Thread Starter

I am thinking of getting rid of all the live stock and redoing everything from scratch. i know it seems a bit extreme but i have read that once you have flukes there is no way of treating it but to dry out the tank completely and do everything over.

11. jacquesb

This action would of course work - BUT is a little on the outrageous side..... BUT it would most likely work.... you will then have to ensure that your live rock is clean, and that you replace the substrate as well.....

Whatever your decide - good luck.

Recent Posts