Advice Please On Quarantine Set Up

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by mala1610, 1 Oct 2014.

1. mala1610

mala1610

Hi Guys I have got a fluval edge tank 23L and I would like to use it as a quarantine tank .. is this ok? Would I be limited to the size of fish I can put in quarantine and if I bought 2 or 3 fish at one would it be able to hold the 3 fish .. they would be compatible of coarse?

IMG_3742.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. wookie

wookie

Hi i just set up a qt tank and have 11 fish in it, it's about 120 litre but have only put about 60 ltrs in it , with a heater and pump. I have done water changes 25lts every 3 days to keep ammonia and nitrate low. So 3 fish in your wouldn't be a problem just monitor ammonia and nitrate. Put some pic pipe so the fish can hide to calm down as well.

4. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

Will your quarantine tank be running all year round or only if you have fish to quarantine ? Did you cycle in any way ? or did you just put salt water in heater on ready to go straight away?

5. Vetrix

Vetrix

Use water from your DT tank, remove the ceramic bits from the filter in case you need to treat with copper.

Fill the filter with sponge and it will become the biological filtration.

Will have to keep an eye on the ammonia levels and do water changes/clean sponge filter (with the water you remove) for the first few weeks until the bio filter is established.

6. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

Should I put small live rock to start cycle in quarantine ? should I put a piece of something dead to help with cycle?

7. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Most people say you shouldnt have live rock in a quarantine, just a pvc pipe for the fish to hide in. Live rock and sand can be a place for the diseases to live. So no, there isnt a cycle.

It's explained in this thread. Quarantine tank - Marine Aquariums South Africa

8. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

Ok so basically I can make salt water heat it add a heater and good to go to start quarantining

9. Vetrix

Vetrix

You can add a small piece of LR to help the bio filter establish. You do want a bio filter depending on how long the QT will be up.
    My QT will be up for a long time still until my DT is stocked and I do not want to do 100's of water changes, so the bio filter will help with that.

You can never return the LR to the DT because it will absorb copper/medication if you ever treat with any. SO if you have a little piece that you dont mind ruining then go for it.

If treating with medications then there will be no place for diseases or pests to hide, LR or not.

10. wookie

wookie

I have no substrate and only sponge and bio balls on the pump. Bear in mind copper will kill any bacteria so adding live rock the copper will kill the live rock. If you not treating with copper then live rock will be ok. I intend to finish my treatment for 30 days then drain the tank clean with vinegar then set it up again and bring the paras to the same as my dt and run it continuasly . I also took water from my dt to start the qt tank.

Also remember anything you use ie net's heaters etc can never be used again in your dt due to copper and meds so best to keep spares so you don't cross contaminate

Last edited: 1 Oct 2014
  11. Vetrix

Vetrix

Copper does NOT kill bacteria, it will kill inverts.

12. Vetrix

Vetrix

And also, you can reuse certain items that were in copper. Like heaters, glass cannot absorb the copper so a good cleaning and drying will be fine.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Make 3 sides black. Easiest is to use black ABS sheet.
    And the bottom.
    But the plastic needs to be outside.

Fish will stress less.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is the purpose of the QT?

Do you want to quarantine new fish for whitespot?

You can fill it from your display ONLY if your display is free of whitespot. Then you can do frequent water changes from your display.

If your display is not WS free. Then you can only use the display to fill up your QT. All water changes thereafter needs to be done with freshly mixed water.

15. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

I have had my DT now for around 2.5 years and I'm not sure exactly what happened but I recently bought a fish from one of the LFS did all the necessary acclimatising. Within 5 minutes he died and since then I have lost a lot of fish and a shrimp which was in my tank since day one.

So to your question.... at the moment what I have left looks ok but if I see one of my little guys not doing so good I want to be able to put him the QT so I can medicate in a smaller environment . I do not want to buy any new fish for awhile while all this stuff settles down in my DT.

If you take a look at the filters in the fluval edge 23L that I want to use is this ok? Meaning is it enough filters to establish beneficial bacteria ?

16. Vetrix

Vetrix

I'd remove every thing except for the sponge and then fit in more sponge or bio balls in the left over space. Should be more than enough.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I would not use any liverock in a QT.
    Bioballs and sponges that you can wash out in freshwater, dry out would be better. The bacteria on the bio-balls re-establish rather fast. Obvious will not work for a lot of fish that good, but one or 2 at a time would be OK

Recent Posts