Advice on wifi webcam purchase for aquarium monitoring...

Reaction score
Hi guys. I need some urgent advice on the purchase of a small webcam with wifi/wireless/ip connectivity... (Not entirely sure of the naming) but it should be able to connect to a wifi router (with internet /3g connection) & I want to be able to view what ever is going on via my iphone / laptop wherever I am...

Need it for general use (some security use inside building), & monitoring my aquarium whenever i'm away for a couple days...
Has to be smallish, & neat as it will be mounted in front of my aquarium/s mostly.

Doesn't need to be very high quality camera... Just want to see in color if everything is still ok, & shouldnt break every 2 months...
(Preferably less than R1000)

Ps. Has to be able to connect directly to wify router... No network cables..

My question:
1. What camera do you recommend?
2. Where do I buy it at a relatively good price?
3. Are the cheap ones on ebay any good for this type of use? (Example:
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/271345279648?redirect=mobile"]For Android Mini WiFi Remote Cam IP Wireless Spy Surveillance Seucrity Camera | eBay [/ame]

This is where the camera will mostly be mounted:
5DB0DE7F-5E6A-4813-8F03-FB8AD2C98E29-168-0000000BBA24C18A_zpscdc909d3.jpg

Mounted on the granite top on the left front corner looking towards the tank...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as i'm rather illiterate with the whole webcam thing...

Last edited:
Almost sure mtn used to offer a wireless camera and cell combo on contract ,check with them I might be lying

Tagging also interested

I have 2 that i use for monitoring the tank and my kitties when they in view. I got them from incredible connection for about 800 bucks. They use Wifi. Unfortunately they can't pan but they have a decent night mode

Last edited:
Hi Visser, I have installed two of the Belkin NetCam Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision for two clients. One was used to check up on the Nanny. Loved the fact that they were wireless, small and an app was available, although the router need to be configured for remote access took a bit longer. Worked extremely well and are available at Dions Wired. I think they retailed for +/- R1000.

Awesome, thanks @Dimi! Will go & have a
a look when i'm back in gauteng!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom