Advice on tank transfer

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by NADEEM, 13 Dec 2012.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hi all, i am busy with a 650cube and would like to transfer everything from my boyu tl550 to the cube. what is the best way to clean the rock before putting it into the new tank? should i rinse the rock nicely with clean salt water? or should i maybe dip the rock in RO water? please advise

i have not decided whether i will use substrate or not in new tank, if i do, how do i transfer the substrate from old tank to new? can i just siphon all out and dump in new tank? will this cause any problems?

is there a chance of a cycle taking place when i move the water/rock over to new tank? should i get someone to look after my fish and coral rather and not transfer them to new tank immediately?

whats the best route here? i do not want to lose any fish or coral in the transfer, only 2 clowns will be moving over, but my coral is precious and dont want to hurt them.

apologies for 1million questions, want to do it properly, thank you

Sharp
    Nadeem:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

i did a move this weekend. if you are going to use everything as is, please prepare for a nitrate spike. probably is ways of avoiding it but ya i had no time as the tank was moved from PTA to JHB in less than an hour. haven't lost anything as yet. dosing Seachem Prime and stability and special blend to keep the system stable.... sort off:). good luck to you mate.

but i would suggest to keep your fish in the one tank before transferring to the new one. and try get the water quality the same as what your current system is

Last edited: 13 Dec 2012
  4. zayd

zayd

I would cycle the new tank first with some rock and then move everything across.

That's what I did and had no losses.

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Start off with water change water from boyu into cube, then do a few water changes from boyu into new cube, whilst cycling with some rock from boyu in new cube or some new rock.
    Depending on the sandbed depth, I would err on the side of caution and say rather dont do it.
    Just before you move the boyu livestock over to cube, move all the water from boyu into cube and voilla.
    If using a probiotic method like dosing prodibio bac or zeobac, or if using something like ORCA biocubes, you should be able to cycle your new cube as described above in two weeks.
    Again, sand scares me, the deeper the scarier... rather get new sand for new tank, and use old sand at a later stage in remote dsb (in sump) once it has been washed and soaked for a while in some RO.

OR, of course, just go barebottom...

Last edited: 13 Dec 2012
  6. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice guys, i think that would be the best option...that what i will do, cycle new tank,than transfer.

so i could just take a few pieces of LR from my boyu and put it in the new tank and leave it to cycle?

7. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Shot irie ivan, perfect
    Thank you guys for the advice
    wife thought Boyu would fly out of lounge as soon cube arrives, lol. in for an unpleasant suprise

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Yep, especially if using water from your boyu into the new cube. If moving rocks over, give them a good shake to clean them. Dose with something like prodibio or stability. Employ some biocubes on boyu and move them over when doing the eventual transfer. To a large degree they will be balanced to the bioload and the small increase in bioload in your new cube will quickly be picked up.

Recent Posts