Advice on Tank size & Filter

Reaction score
I am setting up a salt water tank of 1.5 m x .50 x 70. I am looking at buying an Eheim External Filter 3e 2078.

Please could someone tell me if this is ok for the size tank.
The amount of water in the tank will be 525liters. is this correct and will this filter do the job. I will be having local fish with a few rocks and sea sand in the tank.
I have also built a stand using 25x25mm metal. This should hold the weight ???? RIGHT ! ! !
Please help , new at this.

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Scrap that plan, look in the beginner section here. Ideally you need a good protein skimmer, sump, good quality liverock. You can try a filter but you will quickly realise its not gonna cut it and everything will just cost you more. Read as much here as possible and ask for advise. Much cheaper that way. Not sure about the stand though.

I am setting up a salt water tank of 1.5 m x .50 x 70. I am looking at buying an Eheim External Filter 3e 2078.

Please could someone tell me if this is ok for the size tank.
The amount of water in the tank will be 525liters. is this correct and will this filter do the job. I will be having local fish with a few rocks and sea sand in the tank.
I have also built a stand using 25x25mm metal. This should hold the weight ???? RIGHT ! ! !
Please help , new at this.

Many Thanks

Hey I don't think any member at Masa will advise you to use a canister filter,because it won't do the job when it comes to hosting the right bacteria your tank would need to be stable at the end of the day.

Have a look at all the good sump filter designs here on masa....you won't go wrong with a nice deep sand bed filter and extra water volume.

As for the stand I'm no expert but you should include some pictures so we could see exactly how you placed every thing together, in order to help you.

And welcome to Masa!!!!:thumbup:

Hey buddy, welcome to masa:1: .

I have the same size tank. My tank has 32mm square tubing. Check out my build in my signature.

I have a 4ft sump and a beast of a skimmer. Build your system slowly and ask thousands of questions before you do anything, so then you will know you are doing the right thing :) .. Mistakes can be expensive so its better to sort everything out before hand.
If you just want a Fish With Live Rock (FWLR) set up then it will be more forgiving :)
Read lots in the beginner threads and upload pics:tt2:

42114d0f12f8adcf0.jpg
Hey I don't think any member at Masa will advise you to use a canister filter,because it won't do the job when it comes to hosting the right bacteria your tank would need to be stable at the end of the day.

Have a look at all the good sump filter designs here on masa....you won't go wrong with a nice deep sand bed filter and extra water volume.

As for the stand I'm no expert but you should include some pictures so we could see exactly how you placed every thing together, in order to help you.

And welcome to Masa!!!!:thumbup:

How big should this sump be? and cost wise you think this is better in the long run? I just have so many questions i am overwhelmed with so many different opinions.
I have attached pics of the stand i made.
Size is 150l x 50d x 90h and its made with 25x 25mm
42114d0f12e76e88c.jpg

25*25 square tubing, is it 1.6 or 2mm.
I would put little triangular support in amm the corners, to prevent flexing. for sump, you can either support it on the cross members you got down there, or I would take the middle one out and let the sump lie directly on the floor.

Other concern is the small feet, and the weight distribution. You are looking at about toal 800 kg (without sump) that must be distributed by 6 small patches of 25 by 25mm. Either het 10mm disc or plates and put that under each feet. To help distribute the total weigth over an bigger area.

25*25 square tubing, is it 1.6 or 2mm.
I would put little triangular support in amm the corners, to prevent flexing. for sump, you can either support it on the cross members you got down there, or I would take the middle one out and let the sump lie directly on the floor.

Other concern is the small feet, and the weight distribution. You are looking at about toal 800 kg (without sump) that must be distributed by 6 small patches of 25 by 25mm. Either het 10mm disc or plates and put that under each feet. To help distribute the total weigth over an bigger area.

I agree with Riaan.Use triangular support in each corner of your stand.You will have to use some disc plates on the stands legs as well.You can place the sump on the ground or on your stand,just make sure you level it up.

You can build your own sump so it won't cost you that much.

Size of Sump ? ? ?

I agree with Riaan.Use triangular support in each corner of your stand.You will have to use some disc plates on the stands legs as well.You can place the sump on the ground or on your stand,just make sure you level it up.

You can build your own sump so it won't cost you that much.

thanksani
For my 1.5m x 50 x 70 size tank, how big should my sump tank be? What size skimmers should i get( im looking at the reef octopus ones ) and what size return pumps would i need?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated?

how big should my sump tank be?
Your sump can be as big or as small as you want it to be, all depends on what you want your sump to be, how much equipment you're putting in it and if you're going to use a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) or not.
What size skimmers should i get( im looking at the reef octopus ones )
Very good skimmers, just get one that is rated slightly higher for the amount of water your tank has, for example, if your tank has 600 litres of water then get a skimmer rated for at least 600 litres or up to about 1000 litres.
what size return pumps would i need?
I reckon a 2500 to 3000 lph pump should be more than enough.

Back
Top Bottom