Advice on tank shape and size

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Knight Moves, 14 Feb 2011.

1. Knight Moves

Knight Moves

hi guys, quick question ...

if you had to choose between two tanks, one a rectangular, the other a cube .... both with the exact same water volume, which one would you choose ... and why???

ps .... please assume that location and space are not an issue.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Depends really... This is going to be a looooooooong and debated subject....

To me it is simple, so fish like to have long straights in which to "stretch their legs" like tangs and butterflies for example. Therefore a rectangular tank is best if you wanna keep them.

Cube tanks however is much easier to have nice water flow, and with a cube you have three main viewing angles.

So, it all boils down to what you want to keep...

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

go as big as you can, and make sure the tank is wide! :)

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

depends also on how far from the wall the tank can protrude How much space you have around the tank. The visual appeal, or overshadow effect. What you want in the tank. what lights you want.... long discussion.

6. maj

maj

i would also go with a rectangular shape,prefer fish to get good swimming lengths

7. Knight Moves

Knight Moves Thread Starter

I don't plan on keeping more than 3 or 4 tangs at the most. What i am mostly looking at is dwarf angels, goldies and chromis, gobies and clowns.

8. Knight Moves

would it not make tank maintenance problematic if you had a really long but really wide tank? Also, isn't more expense to set up a rectangular tank rather than a cube?

9. Muz

Muz

I think width of tank is more important as length in SOME cases. I have a 2.4m tank with 4 tangs and it is not all that often that you see them zooting from one side to the other, they drift around grazing and picking at rocks. They generally congregate where feeding takes place.

IMO width of tank is a better arguement than length when it comes to the fish, but length of tank is better than width when it comes to viewing the fish.

So in a nutshell you have to take the room into account and where the tank will be placed, it all comes down to how the tank and reef will be viewed, narrow rectangles force the fish to the front as aquascaping is limited, this makes for good viewing. A deep cube means that you may not see a fish for a day or so as he finds a lekker nook somewhere at the back where you never see him.

Cost of the tanks should be about the same depending again, cubes have to have cabinets and hoods covering min 3 sides.

THere is too much to take into account to only look at the tanks, you have to take the room into acount and design it from there, you may go for a combination of both.

10. Suhayl

Suhayl

You can view my 400L reeftank in Flamwood, just drop me pm we can arrange.

11. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

For what you want to keep I vote cube!;) Allot more scaping options, plus the added benefit of fish swimming towards you and backwards. In a long tank you mostle see fish swimming left and right...

12. Knight Moves

Thanks Tiger, i must be honest, I am leaning towards a cube, but i haven't decided yet. I want to get it right the first time (if possible) :blush:

How would a 1.5m x 1.5m by 0.6m cube be? Pros and cons??

All advice is greatly appreciately, as i am still a baby at this :thumbup:

13. brentv

brentv

Lots of viewing panes to keep clean in a cube, but if I had to start over... I would really consider doing one if space is not a concern!;)

14. Suhayl

Suhayl

2mx1m with 1 viewing panel, maybe built into a wall with all the life support hidden away. Much more easier to work with equipment in a seperate room and you can house nursery tanks for the coral and hospital tanks. You would also not hears skimmers and pumps making noise.

15. Knight Moves

The plan is to have the entire engine running in a seperate room, and only have the display tank in the main room .... right now space doesn't seem to be an issue :thumbup:

16. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Well, if you have the space for a cube.., go for it. I have a 1.2 x 1.5 meter cube in our shop!! Everybody loves it!!:thumbup:

The fish are also very happy including the tangs. Try and make the cube slightly longer than broad to cater for better filtration options. That is why I made mine 1.2 wide instead of 1.5.

17. Knight Moves

If you had a choice, with the dimensions listed above, would you then go rimless or bracing?

18. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Bracing!! I like braced tanks, but some people might disagree. The tank becomes cheaper to build and prevents water spill-overs and fish from jumping out. If you want to go rimless you would need to use starfire glass!;)

19. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Just to add on.. The cube at our shop has a 360 degree viewing angle with the overflow and returns nicely hidden away. So you can basically put the cube in the middle of a room and walk around it viewing your reef from all the panels!:)

20. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

[​IMG]

21. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

sure about this? :whistling: starfire is weaker than float so you would need very thick glass..... all starfire is, is very clear glass

Recent Posts