Advice on Substrate

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by IamVendetta, 18 Mar 2015.

1. IamVendetta

IamVendetta

I have recently started up my tank again and need some advice on what to do with my substrate

I have crushed coral at the moment and i understand that this could/will cause nitrate problems
    I am curios to hear if anyone has had success with crushed coral i know that fine sand it better because it doesn't trap as much if a any detritus. but at the moment i cant afford to make the change.

I would like to know if i could keep the crushed coral and keep up with the nitrate problems with it

I would like thoughts on these solutions i have thought of. (keep in mind i have aquascaped my tank to have good flow under the live rock and my tanks flow is 22x the tank volume and am going to bump it up to about 30x later on)

-Stirring my sand bed 1ns a week before weakly water change
    -Signifying the sand bed during weekly water changes

If anyone has any advice or thoughts on this please comment

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dexter

Dexter

Im also using crushed coral. Didn't know any better when I took the tank over from someone. What I do is I just suck it with one of those gravel cleaners once a week when I do water change. Not sure how effective it is but at least I get some of the muck out.

4. IamVendetta

IamVendetta Thread Starter

Do you get bad nitrate buildups? and what do you nitrates test at on average?

Thank you for the reply.

5. Vishaal

Vishaal

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

When you do your water changes, ensure that you properly siphon a part of the tank clean. No need to do it all in one go. Can divide the tank in sections and do another quarter each weekend.

Would actually be better for the micro organisms in between the substrate. At least it would have time to re-establish after every weekend. Do it like a 4 cylinder car engine firing sequence. 1,3,2,4. (think about it :))

7. Dexter

Dexter

I do it as Riaan says. One half the one weekend the other the next weekend. Cant clean whole tank as rock work take up some space.

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

as long as your keep substrate clean no probs, can manually siphon, use hermits, use sand sifters etc

Recent Posts