Advice on stocking options

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Rob13, 28 Jan 2016.

1. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

Hi guys,

Just want some advice and personal experiences on stocking and which fish to put in my 4ft 450L tank...

So far I have 2 picasso clowns, an orchid dottyback and a bicolor blenny which are all doing well.

Then I have been looking at the following:

1) Suntail (pinkbar) goby;
    2) Flame angel;
    3) Blue Throat trigger;
    4) Yellow eye kole tang.

I have good filtration with a skimmer rated for 1000L and use about 6kg of Seachem Matrix.

The list I have given is by no means a closed list so please feel free to make suggestions? I am wanting to have fairly easy-moderate to care for community fish but want some different things (not the everyday LFS fish).

Also, would you say I am over stocked at all with the current list?

Thanks guys!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FrikkieVanDieVrystaat

FrikkieVanDieVrystaat

Are you planning to eventually turn it into a reef? If yes then the trigger is a bad idea and most angels are 50/50 whether they are going to eat corals.
    The rest looks fine to me, although some will say the 4ft is too short for a tang.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2016
    tekkengal likes this.
  4. Rob13

Rob13 Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Been reading a lot about the blue throat and have seen a few tanks (my size and bigger) where a blue throat has been a model citizen... Should I take this as being the exception rather than the rule?

Yeah I am a bit worried about the angel being 50/50 and I am hoping that given the 4ft length a Kole tang (as opposed to other tangs) will be OK...

Any suggestions to replace these possible fish with better/more suitable candidates? Is the tank far too small to consider 3 lyretail anthias (1 male and 2 female)?

5. FrikkieVanDieVrystaat

FrikkieVanDieVrystaat

I also really wanted to get a blue throat but the risk is always there. Anthias are really great fish but they have a large bioload because you have to feed them so much, but you might be able to do 3, but also look at the reef safe wrasses, some are really beautiful.
    Also i think the tang will be fine, you could
    Prob get away with +-8 medium sized fish in that tank.

What i would do:
    2 x clowns
    Orchid dottyback
    Bicolor blenny

Kole tang
    Flame angel i would maybe replace with something like a yellow longnose butterfly for vibrant color,
    Replace the trigger with a nice wrasse or the anthias

But this is a very personal choice, no one can decide for you.

Rob13 likes this.
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Flame angels are generally reef safe. Unless you forget to feed it a nice variety and they realize that some corals are food. Normally they are OK.

The trigger I would leave alone. They get bigger than your other fish listed.

Midas Blennie for some yellow. Or yellow wrasse.
    Coral beauty as alternative to Flame. Although not that vibrant in color, they are cheaper.
    One or two blue yellow tail damsels. Tank big enough for it to set a place for himself and others to get away.
    Tangs generally prefer bigger than 4 foot. Smaller tangs like Chocolate maybe.

tekkengal likes this.
  7. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Apologies for the hi-jack but is the Chocolate tang also prone to WS ?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

not as much as a powder blue. But all tangs can get whitespot. Some just more than others. Same for most of our little friends

Best is to have a dedicated hospital tank. Even one out in the garage. I bucket treat all new fish for 10 days. Then keep them in quarantine another 5 weeks. This way I cannot get any WS into my display.

r0ckf1re likes this.
  9. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Thanks, I will be getting my QT Tank before I get any live stock.

10. Rob13

Thanks for the replies!

I think I am going to go the anthius route and take it slowly after that... Definitely still keen on the goby and will look into the chocolate tang over the kole tang... The flame angel is also one of the reasons I started this hobby so will look at that being one of the last fish and will give him a good 30 day quarantine and be sure to feed a variety as suggested by @RiaanP

Already have the bicolor in there so think I will have to pass on the midas, hopefully the two female anthius will replace that yellow...

11. FrikkieVanDieVrystaat

FrikkieVanDieVrystaat

Just a tip for qt, little light and paint the sides of the tank aswell as the back so the fish feel safer.

EFJ likes this.
  12. Rob13

Definitely @FrikkieVanDieVrystaat! QT has been set up for about two months now and have painted all sides... Will only keep lights on while inspecting fish and feeding! Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You still need to be able to observe the fish. Rather use plastic ABS sheet on the sides, that you can remove. Nice size plastic flower pit in the QT would help to provide enough hiding place for the fish. Brown plastic pot is better than a white ice cream tub. Looks a lot more natural for the fish as well.

EFJ likes this.
Recent Posts