Advice on selling my tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Cgoodburn, 7 Apr 2014.

1. Cgoodburn

Cgoodburn

I am moving to a new house and need to sell my tank. I would like advice on what would be the best way to go about it. I want to make sure my fish survive, and i am able to sell the entire set up.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

PM me what you have...
    Hardware, livestock etc...

We make a plan

4. botes

botes

Hi iam looking for testing kits and a Refractometrer if you have any

5. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

Your best bet is to advertise here in the For Sale forums in the format that is provided.

In most cases entire set-ups don't get sold easily unless it is for a really good bargain. Most reefers here already have a system running and would want some of your livestock / equipment etc. So you will end up breaking up the entire system and selling it off slowly.

People will dibs stuff and then not get back to you etc. so you need to be clear on the dibs rules.
    Best is to put up the ad in the classifieds on here and other forums or even OLX / Gumtree.

Good luck!

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Use the for sale section
    List all the items for sale, with prices for each. With clear pictures of the individual items.

Might be easier to sell all livestock first. As then you can clean the equipment and sell the hardware later easier.

Systems listed as a complete setup hardly ever sell as a complete setup. Unless its a real bargain. But even then, almost all the guys on the forum already have systems. And you are limiting your potential buyers to that one or 2 newbies still looking for a system, or somebody who already decided to upgrade or downgrade. (Mostly upgrade and with the non-reefer permission).

Mostly all those complete systems eventually do get broken up into individual items. After "wasting" 2 weeks (or more) waiting for a buyer that wants it all. By then those threads already sits on page 2 or 3 with all the dibs guys posted 2 weeks ago and forgot about. Or got the item in the meantime somewhere else. How can you blame him on a dibs he placed 2 or 3 weeks ago and now he is not honoring it?

Secondhand items have about half price value. Generally. Depending on the item. But yes, some guys wants it basically for free. Ignore them. If your price is reasonable, why halve it again. OK, a R50 or R100 drop bargaining is OK, as buyers like to feel that they got something at a good price.

Good luck with your sale.

7. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

And don't forget gumtree. I have always found it easier to sell something there.

Recent Posts