advice on QT tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by wookie, 21 Sep 2014.

1. wookie

wookie

Hi guys as i have flukes and have treated my tank with heal all for 7 days now with no real sign of it going i have decided to borrow a tank and use it as a qt tank. It's a 3ft tanks I'm gonna take the water out my dt and put in the qt tank with no substrate or rock, my concerns are that it has not cycled and will this cause a problem? I will put a heater in and a pump to move water and slowly drop the salinty to 1019 i believe and leave the dt barren for 8 weeks to end the cycle.
    On the qt tank i will monitor ammonia and nitrate and do water changes so they don't stress too much.
    Have i got this all right your input would be appreciated.
    Catching the fish will be a mission on its own.:m21:

Last edited: 21 Sep 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

No substrate and no rock. There is nothing to cycle.

Water form your existing system would have some bacteria, not a lot. But enough to populate the QT system.

What filtration do you plan to use on the QT? if any. Daily big water changes would also be enough to keep thing in line.

4. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

That's my problem don't know what filtration i can do as no canister filter only a pump and heater in the tank. I finish work so late everyday and won't be able to get to my lfs for daily water changes . Battling to catch the fish at the moment they too sneaky so wondering if i should just carry on with heal all for a week again or am i wasting my time with it. @RiaanP

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

most likely you will be forced to remove some of the rocks and corals. Very difficult to catch fish in a stocked tank.

good luck catching them and getting rid of all the flukes

6. CameL

CameL

best plan is to set fish traps.
    can diy one with a 2l coke bottle, just cut the top off at the base of the "neck", then cut the cap part off the bottle and that hole is determined by the size of the fish you going to catch. Invert the cut out section so it faces inside the bottle, and also remove any wrappings. Fill the bottle with water and throw in some of their favourite food and then wait.
    Worked for me.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2014
  7. weezle

weezle

If you are going to remove the fish from your display tank then you won't be needing a skimmer so why
    Not plumb the skimmer into the QT tank for the time that the fish are in there.
    With flukes there is no need to medicate, just freshwater dip on the way into the QT tank.
    8weeks might not be necessary , I had a massive outbreak of brook / W S and qt my fish in a spare 100L
    Cube with my skimmer and a basket of filter wool. I dosed copper and after 3 weeks I ran carbon and then dosed heavily with prime for a further week . The fish all looked bright in coulor and were fat.
    And then re-introduced the fish to the display, untill today my fish are all fit and flourishing
    I think the main reason was that wen the fish were put back they were very healthy and not as susceptible
    To ailments.
    Good luck man

8. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Thanks guys gonna give it a go tonight again. If all else fails will have to strip dt. How long for the dt is clear before i reintroduce the fish any idea? I can remove my protein skimmer and will place in the qt. Do i drop salinity slowly or not.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

not needed
    Not after fresh water dip.

10. Vetrix

Vetrix

I would not bother with the skimmer on the QT, get a sponge filter, attach it to a power head and in 3 weeks you'll have enough biological filtration, you'll have to do a number of water changes on the QT for the first few weeks until the bio filter is active.

My QT has been running for the last 7 weeks now, only did weekly water changes for the first 3 weeks after that ammonia was undetectable thanks to the sponge filter.

HTH.

11. CameL

CameL

becarefull when using your existing equipment, as often when medicating it contaminates your equipment and can transfer back to your dt when you move equipment back. rather safe than sorry and setup a dedicated system.

12. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Well guys i managed to catch them all dipped them in ro water and them into qt. Just my luck while catching the fish my cardinals decided to breed and now i have about 8 babies in the dt. What a mission now so i have left them there as only a day old will try feed them for a while before catching them. suggestions guys ?

Recent Posts