Advice on new tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Junz, 21 Mar 2009.

1. Junz

Junz

Hi Guys

as most of you'll know i had a terrible episode with my current tank , which left me with an empty tank ( all Livestock dead) and i can safely say that i learn't my lesson and will be more careful next time when working with electricity and water

but this unfortunate event has lead my down the upgrading path, please bear with me as iv still lots to learn and have plenty of questions be it good or stupid it will ultimately help me have a better tank in the future.

just some insight on my plans....

i want to keep tangs (yes i love tangs) and SPS corals (also love them)
    im looking to have a fully automated system, well at least for the most part.
    i want to have a fail safe and backups in case i have any electrical issues again.

please fell free to stop and suggest any ideas or anything that will help me.

so here begins all the questions....

lets start of with the tank.... is starpire glass worth the price difference when compared to normal glass we use on our tanks?, i dont think my new tank will be thicker than 19mm

would the following tank we suitable for tangs 1500x600x600 ?
    braced or rimless VS cost difference, is rimless worth the extra cost?(personal opinion)
    What is a C2C overflow and do i need it ?
    what would be the ideal size sump for the proposed tank ? (personal opinion)
    opinions on closed loop systems ? i wont be keeping anemones
    Will a TS3 Skimmer be enough for the proposed tank ?
    can i get away with 6 x54W T5 running vosslouw ballasts, reflectors and good lamps ? (for keeping my SPS's happy)
    Does anyone have Diagrams for a Sump that can house ..well everything needed to maintain a stable system ( this hopefully should include plumbing pics and placement for all equipment)
    for my circulation ( In Tank) will one Vortex be enough to keep SPS's?
    Emergency backup power will run my return pump, ,Seio Prop1000, air pump and skimmer totaling 58watts, are those considered critical parts of the reef system?
    What is a Carx system ? do i need it ?
    Is a calcium reactor the same thing as a carx? whats the CO2 bottle for?
    How would i maintain ALK effectively ?
    How can i incorporate the a water change system into my sump ?
    Are dosing pumps a requirement in a reef tank ? what are there uses?
    Do i need probes to monitor my tank ? ph,salinty, o2 ?
    Do i need /or will i need an algea scrubber ?

well these are all the questions i have for now, but make no mistake i will be back[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

And that is that ;)

4. Pete

Pete

well answered there warr but IMO for tangs I would go a bit bigger as I have four tangs in my 1650 meter tank and am know planning a 2m tank but this tank sounds good

5. Tony

Tony

I don't run a CARX on my tank and I have plenty of SPS's. I manually dose and if you don't mind this then it's a cheaper option. If your lifestyle doesn't allow for fiddling with the tank then the CARX is the way to go. Try and go for halides if you want to go the SPS route. Three 250W 1400K only or a combo of three 250W 10000K and two or three actinic to balance the colours and create a sunrise/ sunset effect. You also won't have to have your halides on for 12 hours this way saving a bit of electricity.

6. Junz

Junz Thread Starter

ok , i read a thread on reef central ( i think ) , and now i have more or less an idea on how to incorporate a water change system in my system, how it works is, over a period of a week il work out how much water is removed from the skimmer and have either a dosing pump or manually dose the same amount of mixed salt water to replenish the system , this will eliminate the need to do weekly water changes or monthly WC, taking onto account that i will only need to do water changes because i want to replenish used trace elements and not because of high Nitrates or PO4, so idea should work in theory

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

IMO it won't work. You won't replace enough water to replace trace elements and other critical elements. You will have to look at an auto dosing system, as the skimmer will remove less water than you would get from evaporation, so you be basically topping up.

8. Junz

Junz Thread Starter

Warr dont be so negative....
    i will have a top up system in place as well, but that did cross my mind, i was thinking maybe i can set the skimmer to skim wet and thus increasing the amount of water it removes, or the more expensive way would be to have the dosing pump that removes 2lts or water from the system daily and then add 2ltrs back during the course of the day.
    this would mean that i will be doing a WC of about 90Ltrs a month just to replenish the elements lost.

im trying to do away with carrying water back and forth to do WC's.... this will ,make the goose happy that her carpets are not wet every week

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Dude, I am not be negative, I am just stating the obvious. Running the skimmer wet maybe an option, but I reckon you would still need to dose.

I do 300L per month on a 500L tank, and my Mg can't keep up, so I have to dose. You mentioned going with SPS, so you will have critical elements that need to be replaced to keep these corals happy.

If you going the small WC route, rather just go the top-up route and dose all the elements the tank will require and test every now and then.

10. Junz

Junz Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    im thinking of something like this, il contact horst and ask him i he will be able to build an engine room for me,

also what i would like to know is, how many tangs can i keep in a 1500,x600x600 tank
    im looking to keep 2x flame angels, 2x yellow tangs, 1x regal tang, 1x kole tang and about 5 xblue chromis , 5x anthias
    will this tank be enough to accomdate this list of fish

thanks

11. Junz

Junz Thread Starter

i can leave out the kole tang and maybe one yellow tang

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Tank should be fine for all those fish except the regal when she gets big.

Recent Posts