Advice on moving an established reef tank.

Reaction score
Hey there guys and girls! I'm looking to buy an established reef from a fellow reefer at a bargain of a price the only problem is they are located in Gauteng and I stay in a small town near Bloemfontein.

So I plan on personally going and fetching it however I'm not sure how to go about packing everything for a three hour trip back home once I'm there. Thats why I would really appreciate advice or tips on how to make the move more manageable.

I'm thinking of buying maybe four 20 litre buckets with lids so I can submerge the rock with corals in them and use one to transport the three or four fishes. Then I would also like to take about 100 litres of the tanks water with me to make filling it up easier when I get back.

(PS. Are there any potential problems I might run into when the tank is running again? Like a tank crash or something?)

Reaction score
Try to bag all corals in bags an put them in a Cooler box. Fish you can put in plastic containers that have lids that clips on, you can get a battery driven air pump to supply air with a small hole through the lid. The substrate you will need to put in a bucket with water, must be moved "wet". The rock you can put in any holder, wrap them with newspapers and make them "wet" with current tank water. Mix about 50% new salt water 2 days in advance. ( If its a 200 liter setup you need 100l new salt water) Once the tank is up and running and on temp you can introduce all the live stock again. Try get "Prime" and "Stability" and dose according to directions for the first month.

Reaction score
(PS. Are there any potential problems I might run into when the tank is running again? Like a tank crash or something?)
Tank will go through a small cycle again as some of the bacteria will die off, that is why I recommend you dose "stability" , other than that nothing major...