Advice on Hammer

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Arries, 28 Aug 2011.

1. Arries

Arries

Hey i recently 'saved' this poor guy from a lfs here by me..It died off alot because of POOR lighting at the lfs..My question is will it use the 'old' skeleton and grow back into it or must i break the old skeleton off so it can form a new one..been in my tank 5days now and seems very happy..Low to meduim flow with little bit of turbulance now and then..Oh and also i have been checking at nite 2 see if i can see the feeder tenticals so i can feed it as i also have a Candy Cane that i feed but there is nothing..Even when i drop the food over it nothing happens...Here are some pics...Thanx Guys...:thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy quality...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. KeeganP

KeeganP

Hey man,
    When my my heads died I broke of some of the skeleton, it wont grow back from there, The new heads are formed from the existing head... good luck, looking really good. :yeahdude:

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I wouldnt try breaking off the dead skeleton as you risk damaging the remaining tissue.

5. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

Ok but how will it expand if the old skeleton is still there...the skeleton is made of just calsium so a blade sould break it clean next to the tissue or am I wrong...I want the guy 2 grow but not sure wot 2 do 2 get it going...any advice PLZ...

6. 459b

It is calcium, but it will take alot more than a blade to make clean cut. A dremel will work, just dont cut too close to the tissue.
    Its only been five days. Give the coral some time to recover and get used to your system before attempting any surgery on it.

7. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

This single polyp type of hammer typically continues to recede and eventually dies completely.
    Keep us posted will be keen to see if you can keep it alive.

8. KeeganP

KeeganP

Remember skeleton will take a while to grow, First the head will split then the skeleton will form.. with or without you breaking of the "dead" part of the skeleton if it wants to split and grow it will do so... just dont expect anything to happen fast :)

9. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

So how long did your one take to split and regrow?

10. KeeganP

KeeganP

:( My one had 3 heads and two died... the 1st week I got it, then like 4months down the line the one head split but not on its own skeleton yet, But I haven't dosing calcium only started recently, it also has some small one's poping up from the bottom, how does your one grow?

11. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

Hey guys don't wanna sound stupid but mine don't have heads..its like one complete long head...I have a cany cane 2 and I know his heads split 2 form new ones...

12. KeeganP

KeeganP

:) You have one head bud, between those tentacle's there should be one mouth.

13. 459b

You have Euphylia ancora, commonly called wall hammer coral. The branching variety is Euphylia parancora.
    Yours doenst have individual heads like the branching variety, whos heads split and form two separate branches. The "heads" on the ancora varity are fused and as it splits, the wall-like just gets longer. On larger specimens you will see multiple mouths along the length of it.

14. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

Geez ok...so wot would u suggest I do david...any suggestions would be gr8ly appreciated...thanx...

15. mytank

mytank

The feeder tentacles might only come out late at night - I watch my corals ( yes I am still like a kid at Xmas ) every night. I work usually through the night in my study an pop to the lounge to check. They (tentacles) retract away quite quick under bright light, use the red sweet or wrapping (present wrapping paper - I bought a whole roll if you want some ;) ) and put it on your torch (light) ;)

My bubble looks like an alien when the lights go off almost like a Nennie I feed him lance fish once a week.

What you can do is try feed some cyclo-peeze or brightwell photoplanton *spelling at night to encourage it to eat. I mix it WELL into a tot glass then with a turkey baster I feed into the water column in the water column near the bubble and froggie.

I turn off my skimmer for an hour whilst feeding to keep the food in circulation. Don't over feed otherwise your phosphates will go through the roof.

You might want to treat him special and get a coke bottle cut in half or smaller since he is tiny make some holes for flow and feed the cyclo directly in there while he is getting back on his feet.

Let's us know how he goes love those corals!!!

16. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

Hey thanx @mytank ..This really helps a lot..I'm glad 2 report that he is strting 2 look a lot better since he is in my tank...colours are now nice and bright and looks like he is starting 2 grow again as I marked on the side of the rock his size when I got him and he has gone past those marks on both sides...but I will keep u up 2 date on him...gettn my frogspawn 2nite...can't freakn W8....:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. mytank

mytank

Froggies are awesome I love mine not as colorful as the others but awesome!

I know most LPS are said to be filter feeders but I like to directly feed them once a week. Just remember to keep your feeding in check! You don't want to be like me and have algae outbreak ;)

18. 459b

Glad to hear its doing well.

What have you decided with regards to its skeleton?

19. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

How is the hammer doing?

20. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

Hey he is doing very well...colours came back now very well and he is surely growing...decided 2 keep the old skeleton as it looks like its growing back into it...I added a nice big torch and branching hammer...my LPS collection coming on very nice now...will post pics 2nite...

21. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i have never had long term sucess with these hammers and so much more prefer the branching type..

Recent Posts