Advice on collecting snowflake eggs

Reaction score
Hi. I have two snowflakes that have been laying eggs for a while now and its my plan to try and breed with them. My problem at this stage is getting hold of the eggs. They are laying the eggs on a rather large rock and I understand you can either put a tile or pot near them or try and catch them when they hatch (which sounds complicated). My problem is I've tried putting a small tile near them and they just shove it aside. They don't seem to want anything near their nenni. What should I try and when exactly should you place the tile or pot near them?

My problem is I've tried putting a small tile near them and they just shove it aside.
Use a bigger tile :blush:

That's why guys who breed clowns use a clay pot only in the breeding tank.

I was wondering if I should try the pot method. But does it have to be clay? Or can it be plastic? They seem to want to lay the eggs under or near their nennie so bigger tiles don't fit. I was thinking of putting a pot in such a way that the opening is as close as possible to the nenni.

From reading, not experience. You need to have two identical tiles or clay pots either is used so the clowns get accustomed to it and eventually uses it as a nest. Once they start laying in/on it you remove the object while still submerged, never expose the eggs to air etc. You want to remove them as close as the hatch as possible as the clowns are the best guardians and replace it with the identical one so the clowns don't feel annoyed. Clay pots are used cos the provide a nice cave and and heavy to move by the clowns, also baked clay is inert.

Maybe yes I should try that thanx. Put them close to the nenni until they are used to it and hopefully then they'lle lay the eggs on the tile or the pot. Will try that way thanx appreciate. I know about the siphon method but just not sure how yet and I think your timing has to be almost perfect before the clown fry become fish food?

Maybe yes I should try that thanx. Put them close to the nenni until they are used to it and hopefully then they'lle lay the eggs on the tile or the pot. Will try that way thanx appreciate. I know about the siphon method but just not sure how yet and I think your timing has to be almost perfect before the clown fry become fish food?
I used to breed clowns and several other fish and never had them lay on anything else than the rock in the tank. I used to know when they were going to hatch (Eyes really showing in the eggs) and I would turn off all pumps after lights out. About a hour after lights out they will start hatching. Ensure the room is as dark as possible and place a small light source above the nest (Out the water). As they hatch they will be attracted to the light. Now use a glass and carefully siphon them into the glass and release them into your rearing setup. Good luck hope you have your rotifer and green water cultures ready.

Thanx Tovanco it really helps. I just always wondered. If you say an hour after dark, is this total darkness or do the blue lights also count as darkness?

Thanx Tovanco it really helps. I just always wondered. If you say an hour after dark, is this total darkness or do the blue lights also count as darkness?
Rather turn the moonlight off. I used to put a tupperware bowl in the water and shine the torch into that otherwise the light shines onto the sand and half of the fry gather there.

Moving a clay pot with eggs into a black container is a lot easier than having to wait for the fry to hatch every time , especially when there's a few nests at a time .

Back
Top Bottom