Advice on a new tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by squire, 14 Jun 2010.

1. squire

squire

Hi guys,

I have decided to start up a new tank.

What i am thinking of in terms of design is a half hexigon shape. The front panel will be 2.0m long and 1.0m wide, with a height of 700mm and a water level of roughly 600mm high. The 2 sides will join at a 45 degree angle from the front to back. Not sure yet of the exact measurements yet as i am still trying to conceptualise it.

Oh yes, before i forget, it will be rimless.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions or words of advice?

It will definately be appreciated. :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brettb2020

brettb2020

welcome squire!

why that shape?

with those dims and no bracing you need atleast 15mm glass but some will say more.. thats very thick. glass gets less transparent at those thicknesses too... so maybe starphire glass could be used :)

4. squire

squire Thread Starter

hi brett, i'm thinking of that shape as the ground floor of my place is open plan. there are no walls from the kitchen through the dining room to the lounge, where the tank will be. Also, the staircase come down at an angle to where the 1 side of the tank will be, and the sliding door to my braai area opens up to the other angle, hence that shape that i have in mind to maximise the viewing from 3 different angles.

5. brettb2020

brettb2020

sounds awsome.. take some pics and make some drawings:) we all love pics :)

6. squire

squire Thread Starter

stuggling to convince the wife to move the TV to the bedroom to make way for the new tank in the lounge ... :whistling:

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

this will be a challenging build if you go with your original idea, not impossible but seriously challenging!

Why do you want to go for a rimless tank, with this design the rimless will be problematic .

i would say 15mm would easily be the minimum you need and that costs plenty .... something like 3x 12mm which is costly to begin with. I am not even sure you get starfire 15mm, if so then is is imported and starfire is definately weaker than normal glass.... therefore more problematic

8. squire

squire Thread Starter

hi Neil

i got the idea for a rimless tank from the idol marine show tank ... 1 look and i was hooked kinda thing :)

If not that particular shape, would you rather then recommend a conventional tank 3m long, 1m wide and 700mm high and still stay rimless?

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

rimless certainly has some great advantages chief amongst these of course is the look.

the disadvantages i would have to say are 1. strength, the bracing really helps the overall strength and then 2. is the ability of the fish to jump out easily ..... certain fish like a midas blaanny (my fav fish) would almost certainly jump out !

why not a 1m cube? or something like shauns build which i think is 1mx2m

10. squire

squire Thread Starter

just went through schaun's thread ..... all i can say is WOW!!! i must admit, i had something like that in mind, but no where close to the scale of what he is doing.

11. squire

squire Thread Starter

ok ... changed my mind about the half hexagon shaped rimless tank. Instead i am thinking of going for a rimless drop off tank .... :thumbup:

Recent Posts