Advice needed

Kunhardt

Purple Tang
Reaction score
I have to go away for the night and alas dont have an auto top up yet for my tank. I am worried that while i am gone the water level is going to drop too low for my return pump and cause problems. Its been really hot hear over the last few days and i am getting a lot of evaporation.

My question is, should i bypass the sump for the night...this would be approx 14hrs. I am worried though that without the constant flow from the DT its going to effect the DSB.

Or should i Put a lot more water in my sump and hope that A) its enough till i get back and B) we don't have our regular Sunday morning power out and my tank overflows.

Any advice is appreciated.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Yeah, could bypass, but you have a bigger problem. Your auto top up is way to small, even when it is extremely hot it should last at least 4-5 days.

Storm

Chromis
Reaction score
Ure tank should be fine for the night... If not i would consider reconstructing the way its setup as that is a mess waiting to happen. I can leave my tank for a week on end without having to worry about anything (Lights, Topups, Food ect) since it is all automated.

Kunhardt

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Nice pic storm ;)

Ya i want to get an auto top up. But finances are low at the moment. Lighting, food etc i will also have to look at at some stage.

Kunhardt

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Yeah, could bypass, but you have a bigger problem. Your auto top up is way to small, even when it is extremely hot it should last at least 4-5 days.
You mean my return chamber is too small? I think u may be right there in that it needs to accommodate more water before needing to be topped up. Something i need to look into.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
So you manually topping up ?

Well you going have constant problems then, you need to find a solution. Bucket and one of those DIY top up unit, probably cost around R150

You are going burn out your return pump, but even more worrying, is as the water evaporate the SG will increase, and if left to rise to high, will injury your inmaes.

Dude, beg, borrow or steal and get this sorted out.

Kunhardt

Purple Tang
Reaction score
So you manually topping up ?

Well you going have constant problems then, you need to find a solution. Bucket and one of those DIY top up unit, probably cost around R150

You are going burn out your return pump, but even more worrying, is as the water evaporate the SG will increase, and if left to rise to high, will injury your inmaes.

Dude, beg, borrow or steal and get this sorted out.
Ya going to try sort this out today. I think it may sound worse than it is, i am only having to top up with say 500ml- 1L per day. The problem is probably easily corrected as i have only had this issue since installing the new larger return pump. I think I am going to try readjust my water levels in the sump and see how that goes as well as look into getting an auto top up. Whats a DIY auto top up Warr? Would u build it on the same principle as a toilet top up?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ya going to try sort this out today. I think it may sound worse than it is, i am only having to top up with say 500ml- 1L per day. The problem is probably easily corrected as i have only had this issue since installing the new larger return pump. I think I am going to try readjust my water levels in the sump and see how that goes as well as look into getting an auto top up. Whats a DIY auto top up Warr? Would u build it on the same principle as a toilet top up?
Get yourself a 220V float switch and a small pump at the petshop (200-500lph) - I paid R100 for switch and R75 for the pump. You open the insulation of the wire of the pump and cut the LIVE (brown) wire. Wire this float switch in there. It doesn't matter which way the wires go. Put the float switch in the return side of the sump and the pump in a container with RO water. Use a 6mm pipe with a needle type valve (sometimes you get them with certain pumps/equipment) at the end and adjust the flow to a drip. If water level goes down, float switch gets activated which in turn activates pump and it drips in RO - You're sorted ;)

chris

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Just make sure your connections stay out of the water.

electricity-water:nono::nono:

My 2c

Kunhardt

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Get yourself a 220V float switch and a small pump at the petshop (200-500lph) - I paid R100 for switch and R75 for the pump. You open the insulation of the wire of the pump and cut the LIVE (brown) wire. Wire this float switch in there. It doesn't matter which way the wires go. Put the float switch in the return side of the sump and the pump in a container with RO water. Use a 6mm pipe with a needle type valve (sometimes you get them with certain pumps/equipment) at the end and adjust the flow to a drip. If water level goes down, float switch gets activated which in turn activates pump and it drips in RO - You're sorted ;)
Thanks Tobes, sounds easy enough in theory. lol watch me still make a mess of it :p

Project for the week ahead. Will let u know how it turns out. :)