Advice needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by 4u2nv, 3 Dec 2015.

1. 4u2nv

4u2nv

HI,

My rocks in my tank are getting like a brown algae on them, how do I get rid of this, also what causes this, the tank is now 8 months old?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Apollo

Apollo

This could be one of many things ( dinoflagellates, diatoms or just plain brown algae).
    Normally signifies that there are excess nutrients in the water column and on the rocks (e.g. debris from uneaten food etc.)

Please post a pic if you can and share your water parameters , filtration used and what livestock you currently have

4. 4u2nv

4u2nv Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback, Im trying to upload a picture it keeps failing, Its a red sea tank 240 l external sump, I have about 6 fish in , nemo ,7 line ras , PJ cardinal , blue green chromes .
    Is there any any I can get rid of it ? Will try to upload the picture again.

5. Apollo

Apollo

Manually removing the brown algae is just treating the symptom. You need to find the cause of the algae outbreak , otherwise the algae is just going to return.
    • Check your Nitrates & Phosphates
    • Ensure that there is sufficient flow in the DT to keep debris suspended in the water column
    • Check your skimmer to ensure that you skim wet (i.e. more liquid and less dry foam)
    • Check your feeding regime (e.g. if you're feeding twice a day, perhaps cut down to once per day or once every other day)

Recent Posts