Advice needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by CCloete, 30 Jul 2013.

1. CCloete

CCloete

Hi Guys!!!

PLEASE HELP!!

I am a newbie to the site as well as a newbie to the hobby & am in need for help/advice.

I am getting a complete tank, sump, equipment, live rock, 3 chromis, clown fish ,yellow fox face,corral beauty,yellow tail damsel, 2 shrimps which one is a fire shrimp,hermit crab, star fish & 2 live corrals. (tank is currently running)

I am obviously moving the tank (aprox 1.5 hour drive) & need advice on the safest way to transport the display tank, sump & the precious fish.

I have read up that you need to bag the fish individually & put oxygen in the bag like they do at pet shops.
    Would I not be able to put the fish in a container with the current tank water in & one of those battery air pumps for the transporting?

Do I leave majority of the water in the sump for the journey?

Best ways to "cushion" the display tank for the journey

How do I transport the corrals & live rock?

Chris.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

@ADVdiver and @Nemos Janitor will be able to give you the best assistence with the move man. just click on their nics here and send them a private message:)

4. the fish

the fish

also your LR and Corals and fish can be transported in 25LTR drums or bigger with battery operated airpumps. best is to get a small inverter that can be plugged into your cars/bakkies lighter so that you can run a heater or 2 for the fish, inverts and corals.

5. CCloete

CCloete Thread Starter

Thank you!

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

If you new to the hobby then try a d get someone to hang onto the fish for a while.
    Moving is stressful enough even for the guys who've been in the hobby for years. It might be best to take your time setting up the tank and get the livestock when the tank is running and all the kinks hae been ironed out.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2013
  7. pkc

pkc

Your fish and mobile inverts can be moved in buckets with an air stone with ammo lock added to protect them from ammonia to ammonium fluctuations ruining available oxygen and destroying gill tissue while in transit.

All live rock and corals can be covered-wrapped with wet material soaked from your aquariums waters and then moved while not in any water.

Set up your aquarium as quick as you can with original waters that are left over and the rest, you can add fresh ocean water or your made up salt water and add all inverts; leave the fish and mobile inverts in the buckets bubbling away for a few hours with temp control in place.

As soon as you turn on the return pump and the wave makers, add PH buffer and ammo lock for two days, acclimatise your fish slowly and mobile inverts back inot the aquarium and use ammo lock for four days.

Don’t feed till the next day after the move.

Each day do a water change of around 30 percent for the four days of adding ammo lock "after" each water change.

Forget your parameters except PH while using ammo lock, just watch that temp and control the PH.

Access heat in transit is the worst thing that you can let happen!

I use blankets,towels,pillows as such in transit.

8. Pisces

Pisces

Nice setup to start as a beginner, good luck with your new system. I would get the tank and livestock professionally moved, it will save you a lot of stress and potential loss of livestock.

9. Bonehead

Bonehead

Take out the damsel while you can.

Are you going for a fish only tank or reef? The fox and coral beauty also needs to be considered carefully

10. Bonehead

Bonehead

You need to add a few hours to clean everything before you start up.

11. Braco

Braco

Welcome to the hobby...exciting ..exilarating and sometimes very confusing...but then i sign onto MASA...just like you did now...and viola..these guys knows their story(for the lack of a better word)..you're in good hands

Recent Posts