Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Pete, 8 May 2008.

1. Pete

Pete

Hi all dont know were to post this so im doing it here.
    On of my fish have got white spot(ich) and kneed to know how to treat it

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Pete - is this in your nano?

If so - here's my suggestions:
    1) feed more - do more water changes more often
    2) you can try and add a freshly crushed garlic (not the type in the oil) to the food you feed
    3) slowly increase your alkalinity of the water (dKh) to +-12/13 (upper most limit)
    - you can do this by using sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) OR sodium carbonate (washing soda) - please note SODA not powder
    4) slowly increase the temperature of your tank's water to +-28 degrees celsius (only for about two days or so)
    5) slowly decrease your water's salinity to ie. 1.022 (not lower than this - otherwise your inverts will suffer)

If none of this works after a week or so, you will have to try and catch that specific fish, and put it in a seperate tank with a hyposaline water solution, and add some copper-based treatment....

You can also try using Myxazin - so far this have not proven to kill any bacteria or inverts... BUT - I have not really had any luck with it...

4. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

Thanks Jacquesb, Yip this is in my nano and will try the advice thanks

5. jacquesb

Hi Pete - Just remember - WATER CHANGES are essential when you feed more! Also - you can reduce the photoperiod of your lighting - this should reduce the stress for the fish...

6. RaveMan

RaveMan

My experience is not to add anymore stress to the fish -- documented studies indicate that the white spot is always dormant in fish and only during poor water conditions or sudden changes that it manifests because of the lowered resistance of the fish.
    First just stabilise everything (particularly temp) -- water changes are iffy because a fluctuation in parameters just add to the fishes stress levels -- but highly recommended if you can keep parameters identical (temp/salanity/pH etc)
    Dont let lights startle the fish -- particularly the room lights.
    I noticed that my regal tang breaks out whenever I add a new fish to the system - I just soak all food with garlic juice/oil (taken out of capsules from health shop) intensely for a week and it disappears -- I also make sure that the temp does not dip lower than nomal -- with winter cold this is easier said than done with mornings and evening sharp drops and midday heat -- heaters and chillers need to be dialled in accurately.
    There are people that say garlic cannot be stored -- cos once extracted it loses its effectiveness very quickly -- so reckon crushing a few fresh garlic cloves and extracting all the juice just prior to feeding is the best.
    Many also use garlic regularly -- but cos its such a shlep to extract and cos of the oil layer left on the surface of the water I only use it when there is a white spot or crisis.
    good luck -- dont stress about it

Last edited: 8 May 2008
  7. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

Do a 20l water change a week, only added fishie the the tank 2 days ago, could not see the guy properly as he was already in bag when I fetched him. And did the drip method for about 1 hour when putting him in the tank he went into hidding so only saw him for the first time last night when I got home. Ph was on 8.22 and the I added some ro with salt mix (reef crystals) and last night ph on 8.41 and this morning on 8.37

8. jacquesb

OK - so the stress is MOST likely due to have been newly added to the tank.

Just feed some more, and perhaps add some garlic (as RaveMan has suggested) to the food.... Does the fish eat at least?

9. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

Fish is eatting like a pig

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Well then he should be fine.
    just keep up with regular water changes :)

11. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise guys thats why I like this site always somebody willing to help more advice in 10 min here than one and a half hours on the net

12. jacquesb

Cool Pete! Keep us posted!

13. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

will do thanks again guys

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

i must be the only sucker to fw bath a clown to get rid of ich( 20 % saltwater 80% ro for five minutes and back into display tank, upped temp to 28 deg c ) ich dissappeared overnight never to return. spooky laugh---------------:lol:

15. Warr7207

Warr7207

i ro dip all my new inmates. just gets rid of any nasties from the lfs tanks

16. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

So guys sorry to ask a silly question like this but what is the process in giving the fish a FW bath

17. Mekaeel

get the ph of R O up to the same of the tank,and thereafter chuck fish in and leave it for about 3 mins.

18. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

Is this done to all the fish you bring home from LFS before you drip water from tank in to acclimatise the little guys

19. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

sorry for all the stuoid questions, but i think it is going to bee cheaper than setting up a qt tank and space is also a factor

20. jacquesb

No MandarinMan - you not the only sucker to do that - BUT, once the fish is IN your tank already - I don't think it is always wise to stress the fish out more, once it has indeed started showing signs of marine ich (c. irritans)..... BUT, definitely BEFORE added the fish to the tank....

21. Mekaeel

Hi Pete,i dont ever do FW dips unless a fish is really stressed out.i usually just drip them and put them into my tank.but i do prefer to first put the fish in the sump for about a week so he is well acclimatised before introducing him to the DT.
    this way he is stronger and will beable to face the other fish in the tank should there be any fish that might cause problems.IMO
    it is advisable however to have a seperate tank with the water parameters the same as your DT,to keep fish for about a week or so, before introducing them to the DT.

Recent Posts