Advice needed please

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Googliebear, 12 Jun 2008.

1. Googliebear

Googliebear

Hi All,

I'm a new member at masa, been here about a week...
    I've currently only got a fresh water tank (150L) and have been thinking for a while of starting a marine tank.
    Haven't bought anything yet. Don't know where to start. But thankfully after hanging around in the forums I know this is the right place to ask questions.
    My Budget isn't cast in stone yet, so in other words I'm patiently saving...
    Any advice?

Thank you in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to Masa.buy the best equipment you can afford.good thing you saving from now that way you wouldnt buy just any rubbish and later on regret.you planning on converting the FW into marine?

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello Googliebear! A very warm WELCOME to MASA!

OK - here are a few things you should be reading up on, and starting to think of:
    1) what type of tank? custom built? new? second hand? pre-manufactured (ie Jebo/Jewel)?
    2) filtration? look at sump designs (nearly a "must have" in marines). Look at what skimmer you would be able to afford - this is a biggie (get the best skimmer that you would be able to afford). Read up on macro algae and algae scrubbers. Read up on DSB's and live rock.
    3) Lighting? think of what you want to keep. Fish only does not require major lighting. Some corals require MORE intensive lighting, other corals require HUGELY intensive lighting
    4) Water flow? Think of what power-heads to put inside the tank to create random turbulent water flow (required to simulate the sea)
    5) Think of other things:
    - ie Test kits
    - piping/plumbin
    - RO water
    - Synthetic Salt you going to use (brand/cost)
    - substrate you going to use for display tank and DSB
    - phosphate remover

Also read up on life stock compatibility, clean-up crew (hermit crabs/snails/worms, etc), ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle, nuisances that plague marine tanks (ie aptaisia, nuisance hair algae, nuisance bryopsis algae, majano)....

After having read up on a LOT of this, you should/would have a decent understanding be quite ready to start your marine tank.

Please ask as many questions as you need to, and as possible!

Good luck with your journey!

5. lIghty

lIghty

Welcome

Another think to remember is that this can turn into an obsetion and cost you much more than you ever expected.... right guys? :whistling:

But my very important tip for you is, before you start buying, make sure you get your credit card statment addressed to you and not your wife, and thow away any till slips you get........:lol:

6. Googliebear

Googliebear Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies.

LOL . . . . . I am the wife, therefore I do our filing.

I definately need to scrub up on my marine knowledge, It feels like you're speaking greek. is there a site with all info "under one roof", or should I google it?
    Nope will be keeping my FW. Grown very attached to them, as it is my one pair delivered some fry last week.

7. seank

seank

welcome to the forum. It is true what all said. Read a lot and ask questions. Nice to have a wife on board... Lol to Lighty, that must have hurt... Lol again

8. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Just one very important lesson I learnt is this: dont skimp on your skimmer buy a decent one! Also plan ahead regarding your lifestock, rather buy something you REALLY want rather than something that is a little cheaper and more available, it's really worth the wait!

9. lIghty

lIghty

Have a look at the MASApedia, should help you quite a bit.

10. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Oh, and welcometomasa !!!!!!!!!

11. Googliebear

Thanks again everyone. I'm in the process of printing/reading all catagories of beginners articles, lotsa info, YEAH!

12. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA and the reefkeeping hobby, read as much as you can, then start with the questions (you will have loads):)

13. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Pleasure.:whistling:

:welcometomasa2:Googliebear

14. Googliebear

Is there a certain "brand" tank i should buy???

15. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Look for a tank(referably the largest you can go) with a overflow and a decently sized sump that have enough space and compatments to house at least a DSB(unless you are going to house it somewhere else), Carbon, Skimmer, heaters and your return pump. Try and avoid Nano's as things can get out of hand quite quickly, trust me I know...

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi again GooglieBear -

Have a look at the following two URLs:
    http://reefmaniacs.com/hl/Starting with Marines.htm (if Hennie don't mind me pasting the URL to his document here :)

AND:
    Starting a Marine Tank - Beginner Discussions

No - you don't NEED to buy a specific brand of tank. Usually the tank brands are limited, in that they cannot be upgraded in future (ie lights, add sump, etc) - or that it is extremely difficult to upgrade them, should you ever want to...

Best suggestion I could give you, is to look at getting a custom tank built for you. you can then decide on your budget, and exactly how and where you want to place the tank (size/space available). You can also specifiy the holes to be drilling in the tank (yes - you require holes in the tank to add piping for "over-flow purposes" - this water that flows over the overflow, will usually flow down the pipes you have installed in the hole/s drilled, down to the sump.....

17. Jaak

Jaak

WELCOME TO MASA!!!

18. Googliebear

Tks

19. seank

seank

Sorry Googliebear, but Mxit abbreviations are not allowed here:P:whistling::lol:. We like to talk on this site. So, say something more:whistling:

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

:lol: One day I swear my kids are going to be talking to me in mxit language.

Welcome to the forum Googliebear :)

21. Punk

Punk

welcometomasa

my humble opinion for new people to the hobby is to start with a nano (smaller than 100l or so)...

all in all it will cost you about R5K, maybe less if you're lucky.

this will give you ample time to learn; i reckon if you are able to keep soft corals, hermits, cleaner shrimps, chromis and clown fish alive for 6 months in a nano then you should have learned a lot so that you can decide if you want to upgrade to a large tank (if you're still interested and have the space, dedication and money... sorry LOTS of $$$ :p)

if you upgrade to a large tank later you can still utilize your nano as quarantine or hospital tank, or you could just sell the whole lot for half the price you paid for it (learn now that the second hand market for marine equipment is not good, so whatever $$$ you spend you will NOT get back :whistling:)

all the best!

cheers,
    ant:)

viper357 likes this.
Recent Posts