Advice needed. need to aquascape again, epoxy on one side of rocks

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Barlan, 28 Aug 2013.

1. Barlan

Barlan

Hi all.

long story short, new tank, aquascaping, no water at the moment.

so i need to re-aquascape my rocks, cause we have a new tank and things didnt go quite as we planned, so the rock structure that was epoxied here and there had to come down. fortunately or unfortunately, which ever you see it, the rocks broke apart quite easily at the epoxy joints, so we were able to move the rocks out of the way (but still in the tank)

now the problem is, some of the rock have epoxy on them, while the connecting ones obviously dont, so OTHER THAN trying to knock off the epoxy, what else can we do to connect the rocks? i dont want to change my design, cause the rocks fit quite nicely, (well, used to) and adding more epoxy on the other side will drastically change the dimensions causing a complete rethink and space is a factor.

we have an aquaria 1500, which has 3 glass beams across the top, so its not as open and easily accessible as most tanks. so taking out the rock will be kinda tricky.

i was reading about some ppl using coral glue between the putty and the rock when scaping, if this is the way to go, would the putty - glue join be strong enough to hold? how long would i have to hold the rocks together/how long will it take the glue to set?

what do you guys recommend? any ideas would be helpful.

thanks in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Putty-glue join should be strong enough, depending how the rocks are set. Are they resting on each other or have you used the epoxy to create odd shapes?

4. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

hi David

Most of them are leaning/resting on each other.
    we used the epoxy to reinforce the join so it wouldnt just slip when the sand moves or when a superman hermit/snail wedges in the groove and powers forward.

we havent really gone for anything abstract.
    basically everything can balance or is kinda sturdy, but its the "kinda sturdy" part that i dont trust.

so going forward with the putty-glue idea:
    how much glue do i use, a few drops or a big blob?
    do i use it on the rock side or the old putty side - does it matter?
    how long till we push the old dry putty onto the glue? (asking this, because pratley has to dry for a short time before bonding with the other piece)
    and how long till its hardened?
    must the rock/ putty be dry or can it be wet? i assume it should at least be free of dust as nothing sticks to dust :)
    and what coral glue would you recommend for this job?

hmmm... thats all the questions i can think of for now.

thanks for your help so far.

i will probably require more info when i start doing this, but this is a great start :)

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

For putty, go with pratleys or aquamend. I use superglue gel, but heard good things about the coral glue you can buy form the LFS.
    If they resting on each other then i wouldnt worry about holding them while the glue sets, as the weight of the rock will keep them in place. Else you could cable tie things in place just to be sure.
    You can push the old dry putty straight onto the glue.
    The rocks should preferably be dry, but slightly damp should matter.
    When it comes to glue, rather use too much than too little. Coralline etc grows over the glue quickly anyway so you wont see it.

6. 3dd

3dd

Hi

I did my scape with aquamend (Also a two part epoxy) and have found that the place where the bonds are made should not be a smooth piece of the rock, the epoxy tends too fill the cracks in the rock and then bonds better.

Also the bigger the piece of epoxy used the stronger the join tends too be as you can really mold and push the epoxy onto both rocks. I used something like one tube for 3-5 joins.

I wet the epoxy before I use it with salt water from tank it tends too mix easier then, I then let it rest for 15-20min and then use it.

7. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

thanks for the info, will give both a try and see what works best :)

Recent Posts