Advice needed from experts

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jarred van niekerk, 2 Nov 2014.

1. Jarred van niekerk

Jarred van niekerk

Howsit guys

I'm moving at the end of November and need some advice on wat to do?
    My new tank is currently being built 1400x800x600 high. My existing tank(1800x1000x600)is sold and the guy can't wait until the move to get it from me so he is fetching it on the 9th of November. This would mean I have to hold my fish and coral in a holding tank until then.

I have a 1000 liter drum which I will be cutting the top off of to keep fish corals and live rock in. I will plumb a sump to the drum to house my skimmer macro algae and other equipment in. My plan is to siphon water out directly into the drum. I will then add all my livestock to the drum with out my substrate. I will need to house the fish in here for 3 weeks until the big move happens. I bought stability(not sure if this will help) to add to the water. Will hang my lights above the drum and let them be for 3 weeks.

Wat other suggestions do you guys have for me and will my idea work?

Then my plan for the move when it happens will be the following.
    My new tank will be setup prior to the move. Will add live rock that I'm currently curing ATM. I will be getting new substrate can I add this substrate straight away or must I run the tank bare bottom and slowly add the new substrate? I have some amazing fish and corals and would hate to lose any of them. Please help a man out with some ideas.

Thanks a lot in advance
    jarred

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Riaanv

Riaanv

I have successfully moved with a loose sump with everything inside kept "in tact". Added a lot of bioballs before move is they can adapt quickly to cycle changes. Can also use matrix. Use stability or the like. Keep as much water as you can.

Sensitive corals I have not tried to move. Moved lps, clams, fish. Dwarf angels also seem to be problematic.

Plan before hand to make the move as fast as possible. Do not under estimate the planning part. Keep a separate day for just moving tank. It takes longer than one may think

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

what you have planned sounds good, you can add new substrate from the beginning, i would add stability for the first week, but since everything is coming from an existing tank its should be fine

5. saaid

saaid

I done the same but soon realised it was not a good idea.
    The depth of the bin is a problem. Easy to put stuff in but getting it out makes it difficult.
    I could borrow you one of my flow bins to hold fish and coral. That 1000lt drum is only good for rocks.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

jarred for the most part what youve proposed above is hundreds

what i do is take some substrate and put into a fluidised bed filter, i then place that and the skimmer in a container with the fish only, flow pumps are optional, i keep my LR seperate,

the reason for splitting the LR is in case i have do dose as the fish can sometimes get stressed, and then you dont have to agitate the fish by removing rocks prior to dosing.

add stability to the fish holding system and simply remove the skimmer cup when dosing medication.

keep fish well fed especially on vitamin enriched foods.

on the DT, im thinking of adding the substrate in layers after the system has matured, especially of it is old sand that is going to be reused after some time after standing in the bucket, this is where my move went pearshaped.. i added the substrate in and it went anoxiic with die back..

so wash and add in layers if you are forced to.

good luck buck, cant wait to follow the new thread.

7. Jarred van niekerk

Jarred van niekerk Thread Starter

shot saaid. wat size are those drums? the dude might take it later now. the substrate will be new substrate lesley but i feel im still going to layer it like you suggest

Recent Posts