advice needed for tank move

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by NADEEM, 21 Jul 2012.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hi all,i have purchased the boyu TL550 from a fellow member on masa, thank you for all the help and advice @Meneer.

we will only be moving the tank next weekend hopefully, menner and i have worked out how we intend moving the tank, just want more advice so as to hav no losses during the move.

tank will be moved from brackenfell to my place in goodwood which is about 15km, maybe a bit more.

we intend draining tank halfway into large bucket, and putting live rock in this bucket, then drain rest of water in 25litre jerry cans.
    bag the live stock - 2 x clowns, 1 x bi-colour blenny, 1 x cleaner shrimp and one small crab.
    will leave aragonite in tank with enough water just to cover aragonite.

transport everything this way, when at my place, half fill with old water from tank, place live rock,then add more old tank water until tank 3/4 full, fill the rest with fresh mixed salt water, add stability and turn on pumps etc.
    floats bags with livestock until water temp comes up and thats it.
    any tips
    does this sound ok??? is there anything else i should watch out for? any tips?

thank you

Last edited: 21 Jul 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaunn

shaunn

Be care full with the tank half full I could crack I shoud empty it fully and leave the sand in it just to be safe

4. mandrin

mandrin

Pl ease empty tank it can crack
    add Water back in i suggest not adding new.salt water use same
    Then After 1 week do.10% water change
    Ps Let tank for a.a wile let it settle then.add Fish it shud b fine
    Good Luck
    Ps dont leave LR with out water it will cause a cycle which u dont need

5. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

I think you guys misunderstood, we do intend removing all water before moving the tank.going to leave sand in tank which is about 15kg and enough water just to cover sand
    Thjank you for the tips, does the live rock have to be fully submersed during the move?

Will probably lose a little water here and there during the move,so is it ok for me to add about 5to10 litres of new salt water to get tank topped up at my place.

Is it safe to carry tank with 15kg wet aragonite in it?

6. Ayoob

Ayoob

It shouldn't be much of a problem when transporting 15km. So your plan above should work well.

Not really needed but have it in some water so it can be kept damp, weather its submersed or not you will still have die off of bacteria because of the move. Just be sure to follow the recommended dosing of stability to enhance the micro fauna back to filters.

Yes it is safe

7. Ayoob

Ayoob

yes its ok.

8. Pete

Pete

I would recommend having the live rock covered in water when transporting, I have moved many a tank and have had no losses. Remember to put some filter floss in rear chamber to catch all the loose detris that is going to be in the water after refilling tank. Good Luck and hope all works out 100%

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I bought a new tank from Goby, my od tank was a RSM 250. I emptied all my water and life stock from my RSM. Kept my water and live rock in buckets, life stock with a friend. Added new aragonite and only used about 15% of the old RSM aragonite in the new tank placed back water and LR, allowed it to sit for a week, and reintroduced all life stock, no fatalities or mishaps, but you never know, rather be patient, I could've been very fortunate.
    Did the tank in a day, and it was moved with NO ROCKS OR WATER.
    Where are you, you could borrow a large 110litre plastic holding tank from me?
    PM me
    Carlos

10. Pete

Pete

Hi Carlos i think his in the Cape

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Sorry man, you can't use my bucket, I wont even pay for shipping!;):p
    good luck with the move!

12. DubKorps

DubKorps

Awesum purchase @NADEEM ..... Yor plan should work well and @Meneer has loads of experience so if he is helping you, you can't go wrong ... U wnt regret this purchase... Me and a few others are making name for the tl550s on Masa... Checkout @mandarinman @Charl_Stanhope @Mc @mornewil @DubKorps @JS @2balive @Mewik @LouiseS and there are a few others.... On these threads you will find diferent mods and ideas to make ur system flawless...

So welcometomasa and have a great stay

Ps,post lotsa pics, we love pics pics pics :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Mc

Mc

Good luck, with the move.:thumbup:
    I can't really help as I have never moved a tank, but let us know how it goes.

14. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Hey thank you guys for all the advice and suggestions,meneer knows his stuff so having his help definitely makes me feel a bit better about moving this tankm
    When I went to buy the stability, I was told to also buy these little ampules called 'prodibio' , 1 x biodigest, 1 x bioptim, and 1 x stopammo, was told to add these to water once tank filled at my place and then to turn pumps on. What you guys think? Should I use them?
    Thanks again for all the advice, will update progress

15. brentnorm

brentnorm

Prodibio is really good stuff. I would definitely put it in. I keep one of each of those ampules for emergency.

16. 2balive

2balive

Agree, I also have a few vials of stopammo around for emergencies.

17. DubKorps

DubKorps

PRODIBIO is the gooood stuff lol.... I hope u didn buy the stability aswell? ..... They serve the same purpose

18. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

I did bra, I was told to use the vials once off and the stability to be used for seven days after movem
    So if I use the prodibio I must not use the stability?

19. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Agh I did bra, I was told to use the vials once off and the stability to be used for seven days after move
    So you say if I use the prodibio I must not use the stability?

20. DubKorps

DubKorps

1 Prodibio vial goes a looooong way in a nano dude.... 1 vial = a 7 day stability programme x10..... U just needed the 3 vials .... Then every 2mnths with a water change you can add more,but also dependent on tanks stability..... Online you will get a prodibio nano maintanance guide

So imo .... Take stability back... Waste of money if u already have prodibio

21. DubKorps

DubKorps

Another lesson to learn is :

Try to always consult masa B4 doin purchases @ lfs. Remember lfs need to sell items.... Not to advise you . There has been quite a few cases of lfs's exploiting newbies by selling them unnecesary things, so we as the masa community will always stand ready to assist in a decision to purchase Corect and needed items

Keep on reefn'
    :p

Recent Posts