Advice/ID needed - getting hopeless

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Relborg, 24 Dec 2011.

1. Relborg

Relborg

Hi Guys

its been a loong time since posting but i have been watching from a distance lol

My tank has now been running since August this year
    Main displays is about 325 l (5 ft) and have a sump with a TS2 skimmer (a dsb that’s toooo small)

I remove about 1/2 water cup of gross from the skimmer daily

Have about 35 kg live rock
    Some polyps (1 stone I got for free)
    1 hermit crab
    4 turbo snails
    1 cleaner shrimp

My parameters are as follows

Salinity - .024
    PH - 8.5
    KH - 7 dh (first time its ever so low want to use baking soda to increase)
    Nh4 - 0
    Nh2 - 0
    Nh3 - >5
    PO4- 0.2 (also high I know)
    CU - 0
    CA - 420

Lights
    2 x T5 blue actinic
    1 x T5 aquapink guissman
    1x T5 10k daylight

I have been using seechem phosguard for about 6 weeks now (replacing the bag/stocking every 3 weeks) to reduce the phosphate - note no reactor just in the one section of my sump - but it doesn’t seem to be working

The challenge I have is 3 types of algae because of the phosphates I assume... and it’s really starting to look nasty (especially under the lights I have) looks almost black

1 - I am pretty sure is GHA not allot but some growing on the base of my rocks and here and there in the aragonite substrate

2 - is light brown thick cobwebby/hairy type stuff that is growing on the back of tank you will see what’s left on the pics (I removed most of it manually with the last water change but it grows hectically)

3 - This purple type stuff on my rocks - it’s soft and smudgy but grows evenly with no height over my rocks

now unfortunately I don’t have thousands upon thousands to spend right away - but would appreciate some advice on if all this algae is bad and how best to get rid of it before I start adding fish/corals - I have done allot of reading but can’t pin point the last two types of algae mentioned above

I do 25% waterchages every three weeks or so at the moment with store bought premixed water and top ups with store bought RO (from Jungle Aquatics)

pics attached

all advice welcome (have even considered vodka but am worried I strip my system and that my skimmer is too small) I fear my only solution will be a costly one :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Relborg

Relborg Thread Starter

Oh and merry christmas

4. Relborg

Relborg Thread Starter

well i removed the phosgaurd and have upped my waterchanges to 10% daily

Im still worried about the purple stuff though im thinking its Cyno

will test this week again

5. SteveZi

SteveZi

the purple stuff looks like coraline algae growing on top of older algae(the brown slimy gunk).
    do you dose kalkwasser?
    how long do you keep your lights on?

6. Relborg

Relborg Thread Starter

nope dont dose anything yet but want to start bicarb
    lights are on 8h00 to 11h00 and 13h00 to 20h00

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Couple of questions.

Why the break in the lighting hours?
    Do Seachem recommend changing the phosguard so often? Phosphate media should normally last a good 3 months or so.
    Do you have any pumps in the display tank?

I would recommend increasing your alk to about 8 or 9 and increase waterflow in the display tank if you can, also try buying a couple of different snails, especially turban snails if you can get.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Looks like cayno.
    Does it come off easily? By just waving your hand over it? If yes, then its cayno.

The purple also looks like coraline algae. Thats OK to have.

9. Relborg

Relborg Thread Starter

I had initially an issue with the tempreture (going over 27 - 28) so i addeded a fan and that wasnt enough so logically thought that was the warmest part of the day and it seemed to have helped to not have light on at that time

The actually recommend only 5 days the lps said a month so i went inbetween

Seachem. PhosGuard FAQ

I have a sunsun 24w vibration pump (think its the 12000 l/h)

yup will do so with bicarb

10. SteveZi

SteveZi

can you tell us a bit more about the rock you have? where did it come from?

and is the ph of the water you buy at the store also high?

11. viper357

Ok, to me it looks like you have a couple of different strains of cyano. Your redox could be a bit low as well.

I would advise the following:

Invest in some patience, this could take a while. ;)
    Slowly increase your alk to between 8 and 10.
    Buy another sunsun pump and put it on the opposite side of the tank to your other pump (the smaller 6000 lph one will be fine). Try to face one of the pumps slightly upwards to create a bit of turbulence on the water surface, this will encourage gaseous exchange which aids in reducing cyano.
    Try and get a couple of Turban (not Turbo) snails, they are really good.
    Move that one coral you have into your sump (as long as there is light down there).
    Switch your display tank lights off completely for 3 continuous days and notice if this reduces the algae.
    Stop doing waterchanges. This will give your bacteria a chance to develop and stabilise. You have to let your tank 'do it's thing' so to speak.

You could also try some Chemipure, this apparently works, although I've never used it myself.

12. Relborg

Relborg Thread Starter

Its mostly Kenyan with a bit of Fijian and some "supposed" Mozambican - in total about 5 different sources - my logic was along the lines of its better to get lots of different types/sources so i can get as much exposure to the different inhabitants (never really thought about the different bad things that could come along too lol)

don’t have too much detail it was supposedly all cured but thats also why i have been running 4 months without much additions yet - just to be safe

not really sure but i guess it would help to test (will do tonight) - though i would assume so as all the water i get/have gotten is from 1 store

13. SteveZi

SteveZi

just make sure there is no uncured cementrock in there:whistling:

Viper has given some good advice - I especially agree with stopping the waterchanges - you don't have a lot of stuff living in your tank at the moment.
    You may even want to manually clean off as much as you can of that gunk on the rocks.
    Do some tests on the source-water in the meantime and wait. and good luck:)

Relborg likes this.
  14. viper357

Agreed, if it is cyano then it should come off very easily with a syphon, perhaps do one more waterchange but this time use some tubing to syphon water out of the tank and drag the tube across the rocks to suck up as much as you can. A thin tube will be better as you will be able to get to more of it before your bucket fills up with water.

Relborg likes this.
  15. Relborg

Relborg Thread Starter

lol these rocks were in a tank for a few years before i got them so not tooo concearned with them

sweet will give this a try dont want to add any living things till the tank is clear but will keep this updated

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A-ha, what was the state of the tank it came from? Was they always in the tank under water? Or stored dry before you put them into the new tank?

They could be phosphate loaded from the previous system. Constantly running high phosphate levels and it will eventually saturate the rock as well. Best is to lift the rock from the substrate, to allow enough water movement around them.

Get yourself some cheato, to help in consuming the excess phosphates. Another option is to lift the rock and dunk it back again, washing / rinsing / flushing the settlement inside the rock.

I started with PO4 loaded rock, took me 4 months to get it down to zero. OK I had livestock, so I could not just starve the tank.

17. viper357

Any updates Relborg?

18. Relborg

Relborg Thread Starter

will do some proper tests tonight again but i have seen a reduction in algea - no lights approach
    Got some rew top up water last night so will be testing that too

19. Relborg

Relborg Thread Starter

More confused now

It is must be a purple cyno it comes off when I waved over the rock but it breaks up like flakes not slimy at all

I had my lights off for a few days the purple stuff started turning white the green hairy stuff is almost gone and brown is receding slowly

I put my lights on yesterday again and it seems if the cyno is darker than ever in some places now where it was white

Tested my water and seems 100's but that could be cause the algae is chowing the phosphates and nitrates

Ph. 8.4
    KH 9
    NH4 0
    N02 0
    NO3 0.2
    P04 0.01
    CU 0
    Ca 460

The lps water was fine too

Ph 8
    Po4 - undetectable

Am using a sera aqua test lab which is also 4 months old

The lps recommended I use NO3:pO4-X from red sea
    anyone have any experience with it

On another note my crab died removed it this afternoon and can't see my shrimp either

I have also spotted this slug type thing 2cm long moving around my overflow its off white/pale green in color will try take a pic and upload it tomorrow

I must sound a bit daft but am really confused about what happened to my crab and shrimp if my parameters are all ok

Will only get a pump at month end money is a bit tight at the mo after christmas and all

Bloody hell FW was so much simpler and to think I don't even own a fish yet ...

Recent Posts