advice from Guru's

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Johan van Aardt, 13 Feb 2009.

1. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

I have a 60 liter nano and would like to know wich fish I can put in this tank, i have 2 hermit crabs at the moment........ I want fish that can withstand a bit of a water change because when water changes in a tank this small it changes quite alot.

So what can I put in?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Apollo

Apollo

Johan,

You can look at the following:

Royal gramma's
    Most of the Goby's
    Most of the Clown fish sp.
    Most damsels
    Baslets
    Bangai & pyjama cardinals
    Chromis
    Some of the Blenny sp.

BTW: Why do you want a fish that can withstand water changes ?
    WC's are part of the normal weekly maintenance .

You will not be "changing" anything , even in such a small volume , provided that you are meticulous with what you are adding (RO, Salt mix , Correct salinity & temp)

WC's are good and neccessary , even more so in a small tank as they will be replenishing your trace elements , iodine , calcium etc. while at the same time removing nitrates and other metabolites from your tank.

Just a thought ;)

4. Apollo

Apollo

I forgot to add the following:

It is still strongly recommended that you research each fish species you want to add to ensure that it will be a good fit and that you can provide for it's individual requirements.

5. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt Thread Starter I love marines [R.I.P.]

What i meant is chemical changes in the water like a nitrate spike or a ammonia spike, as this can happen fairly easy in such a small tank, in other words hardy fish

6. Apollo

Apollo

Your water changes will not cause a spike in either Nitrates or Ammonia provided that the water & salt mix you are adding is free of them.

I understand that you are concerned about adding/changing anything in such a small volume , but doing a WC will not spike anything off the charts. In fact quite the opposite : The WC is done to ensure that your Nitrates don't spike off the charts amongst other things.

Your water parameters must be spot on before adding any livestock. Your tank, once cycled together with your daily and weekly maintenance will take care of ensuring that your parameters stay that way.

Hope I have expressed myself correctly and that you can follow what I'm saying.;)

7. Apollo

Apollo

Just to elaborate a bit more on what I have already said:

Yes, smaller tanks do suffer from a lack of stability and are significantly more sensitive to changes . eg. a fish dying in a 1000L setup probably will go largely unnoticed, but in a 60liter setup could have disastrous consequences insofar water quality and the health of other inmates are concerned.

I really do understand your fear of having changes happen in a small volume of water.
    Believe me , I am also extremely diligent(almost paranoid sometimes) with my 60L nano to ensure that everything remains as stable as possible.

If your water husbandry and general maintenance is good though , you have nothing to be concerned about. You will learn as you go along what it is that your tank requires to keep the water pristine and the inhabitants happy.

I've done about 6 waterchanges sofar in my newly setup 60Liter nano and all inhabitants (LPS , softies & 1 fish) are happy as can be.
    :)

sunburst likes this.
  8. Warr7207

Warr7207

All fish will handle Nitrate spikes but no fish will handle Ammonia. If you have ammonia then you have decomposing matter in your tank, and this is a BIG problem in a small volume of water.

Here is a collection of fish a like for a peaceful Nano:

Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish, 2 Yellow Clown Gobies and one Antenna/shrimp goby.

Personal favourite is the Blackray Shrimp Goby - Stonogobiops Nematodeas

Recent Posts