Adjustable Light pendent - do you need it?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nsteyn, 21 Feb 2015.

1. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Hi guys, so I am looking at a LED Light unit suspended from my ceiling (double story so the "ceiling" is cement.

Is it necessary to have an adjustable suspension mechanism to make it easier to work in the tank, or can you work just fine inside your tank without any fancy mechanism to move your lighting out of the way or up?

If you do have some movement mechanics, please share with me what is available.

Thanks!

Niel

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JS

JS

Depends on the unit size...my ati unit fills almost my whole tank dimensions...so i have to raise mine when i want to work in my tank...but with my old radion this was not needed as the radion was very small in size...

4. Nsteyn

Nsteyn Thread Starter

Kwel JS. How do you raise your unit?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Does the tank stand against a wall?

What about a bracket standing behind the tank. With Halidam sliders so you can move the light back when needed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the tank was 750mm wide, I could angle the light backwards into the reef. Not directly from above.

6. Nsteyn

Nsteyn Thread Starter

Hi Riaan - I actually did look at yours. Propably the easiest solution. Where would I start looking for sliders like that or was it a custom build job?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

sliders are the Hallidam units, available from Builders Warehouse or Chamberlains. any big hardware place should have them.

You get different ones, rated up according to the weight it can carry. I think mine was the 100 range. And the brackets are also standard brackets from Chamberlains. I cut the one end of, the top against the ceiling. In this pictures the brackets was for 3 Radion units. I added a forth so the bottom bracket became wider. That is why the cables are not vertical. Should have moved the brackets wider, but I did not want to drill and work above my tank (or was too lazy).

Biggest advantage was that I could just push the lights backwards and out of the way, without switching them off. Still be able to see inside the tank.

As the tank stood about 100mm away from the wall and was 750mm wide, It lights could move back a lot.

New bigger tank is against the wall, maybe 10mm away. Only 600mm wide. So the advantage is not that great if I could move the lights back. Width of the Radion unit only. Maybe one day yes, But for now, my new setup the lights are in a fixed position.

8. Nsteyn

Nsteyn Thread Starter

Kwel it sounds like an option to me. I was contemplating using a tube motor attached to ceiling to lift lights up and down, but pretty complicated and lots that can go wrong.

Recent Posts