Adhesives?

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am currently playing around with a few ideas, mostly involving perspex/plexiglass. Suddenly I started thinking back to my chemistry classes at varsity.

Acrylic, PVC, ABS polycarb and all the other "plastic materials" you get that can be useful in the aquarium takes different adhesives to bond. Is there anybody out there that acctually knows from experience which adhesive works best with what material.

I am specifically looking for an adhesive to bond polycarb with. I want to bond polycarb to polycarb and if possible also to polyetileen.

Any advise?

Cheers

i stuck my ABS sheeting to my tank using Bostik Marine Silicone.
perspex to perspex i used Tangit PVC glue

how about a recipe for that Clinton

I though it was obvious. Just take some perspex dust, mix in a little dicloromethane until you get a glue-like consistency.

Can't give exact quantities but just add the solvent very slowly until you get the consistency you need.

Yup, Clinton has the best recipe.

I work with persepx every weekend. If you want a clear join and have smooth straight edges to bond, use pure chloroform or Methylene Chloride. Nothing beats it. If the edges to be joined are not perfect, make and use the "glue" as described above.

Using the pure solvent can be done as per Galibore but you do need to ensure the edges are smoothed and perfectly flat and flush to each other. Then just inject the solvent onto the gap using a fine needle (apply solvent to the join and it will be drawn in by a capillary action almost). Apply pressure until set.

We used to sniff the stuff at varsity (bored chemistry students)

If you do it yourself (i.e. apply to a cloth and hold over you own mouth and nose) you only conk out for 5 seconds or so, but you get one hell of a headache.

Suggets you do try this sitting down or lying on a bed.

I am specifically looking for an adhesive to bond polycarb with. I want to bond polycarb to polycarb and if possible also to polyetileen.

Any advise?

Cheers

I don't think you can bond polycarb to HDPE successfully. Even HDPE to HDPE is a problem and you need to go to a plastic welder?

I though it was obvious. Just take some perspex dust, mix in a little dicloromethane until you get a glue-like consistency.

Can't give exact quantities but just add the solvent very slowly until you get the consistency you need.
cool thank you

We used to sniff the stuff at varsity (bored chemistry students)

If you do it yourself (i.e. apply to a cloth and hold over you own mouth and nose) you only conk out for 5 seconds or so, but you get one hell of a headache.

Suggets you do try this sitting down or lying on a bed.
Mad Scientist :lol:

I think for bonding HDPE you'd have to use ultra sound to weld it together...:lol:

i got a bit goofed the other day while making my rock stand.after 6 hours of it being glued together with Tangit PVC flue,i decided to blow into the inlet to see if all was sealed and guess what,the strong smell came directly into my mouth and into my chest.felt a bit light in the head,but it was nice. :lol:

i got a bit goofed the other day while making my rock stand.after 6 hours of it being glued together with Tangit PVC flue,i decided to blow into the inlet to see if all was sealed and guess what,the strong smell came directly into my mouth and into my chest.felt a bit light in the head,but it was nice. :lol:

Cheap thrills :lol::thumbup::lol:

Back
Top Bottom