Adele

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm a new member. My husband and I bought our marine tank from a previous owner about two years ago. We still have a lot to learn!! The tank seems stable. The colour of the live rock is reddish and not as pink as we were told it should be. The one rock coral is almost covered by it. We tried to clean it but it seems stubborn. Algae? Can somebody help us with advice, please?:wave2:

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA adele. Reddish sounds like a case of cyanobacteria. (not good) Do you have any pictures?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Adele, is the algae soft - cyano as Rory said or hard? if it is a hard layer then it is coraline algae.

Reaction score
WELCOME GAUTENGER glad to see one more on our side:thumbup:

it can be some kind of hard cyano( i had it once mine had a red wine color)

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
welcome

Reaction score
Warm Welcome to Masa. Nice to see more ladies joining the Forum. Pity though, cause now we have to watch our lango:lol:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A very WARM Welcome to MASA Adele! Yes - as Wee-Man said, if it is hard to get off the rocks, then it is most likely indeed corralline algae. Corralline algae comes in all different sorts of colors. Not only pink.
The coloration depends on the corraline algae strain or type.

If you can, please post a picture that we can be certain?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
hello adele:)

sorry i missed your first postings so rather late than never here is a simple welcome.

i see hennie is giving you help on the algae and i am sure in no time at all we will be able to help yopu reduce its growth and have the tank looking great again :)

well done on keeping some fish for three years, thats impressive! :)

any chance you can give us a pic of the system?