Additives

Reaction score
I noticed quite a few different type of marine additives/Supplements (Strontium etc.) at a local LFS.

Are these products needed ?

Reaction score
Most suppliment are not needed, especially at the strting point of reefjeeping. Amazingly most suppliments are purchased by novices. Rather stick to regular water changes to remove dissolved organis compounds and replenish trace elements, than dumping stuff in your tank that a) you dont know the exact chemical composition
and b) you cannot measure for.
Once your tank has cycled and you are adding livestock, the only suppliments you require is calcium, alaklinity and magnesium. Once you start getting into the real dark side of things, then you can delve into the more complex things like I,Sr,Fe, etc

Reaction score
As Irie said. Two that you will need to supplement in one way or the other are calcium and alkalinity, magnesium also but quite infrequently. With no hard corals though calcium dosing will also be quite infrequent.

Decent, regular water changes can handle most of the rest, unless you start stocking very heavily.

Reaction score
I fell for the supplements trap...
Daily doses of Stronium, Magnesium... 'don't worry about testing, they will be removed by your skimmer within the day...' was the comment...

Well... within a week my tank was a Diatom atomic bomb... Thanks to Mango for pointing out the errors of my ways...

My recomendation is : Ask the forum first, especially the more experienced reefers before visiting the LFS.

Reaction score
I fell for the supplements trap...
Daily doses of Stronium, Magnesium... 'don't worry about testing, they will be removed by your skimmer within the day...' was the comment...

Well... within a week my tank was a Diatom atomic bomb... Thanks to Mango for pointing out the errors of my ways...

My recomendation is : Ask the forum first, especially the more experienced reefers before visiting the LFS.

You got to know what you are doing. Midasblenny doses supplements daily (incl. Sr and Mg I think), but he knows his system, products and chemistry.