Additives

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Warr7207, 5 Jan 2008.

1. Warr7207

Warr7207

I noticed quite a few different type of marine additives/Supplements (Strontium etc.) at a local LFS.

Are these products needed ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Most suppliment are not needed, especially at the strting point of reefjeeping. Amazingly most suppliments are purchased by novices. Rather stick to regular water changes to remove dissolved organis compounds and replenish trace elements, than dumping stuff in your tank that a) you dont know the exact chemical composition
    and b) you cannot measure for.
    Once your tank has cycled and you are adding livestock, the only suppliments you require is calcium, alaklinity and magnesium. Once you start getting into the real dark side of things, then you can delve into the more complex things like I,Sr,Fe, etc

4. palmerc

palmerc

As Irie said. Two that you will need to supplement in one way or the other are calcium and alkalinity, magnesium also but quite infrequently. With no hard corals though calcium dosing will also be quite infrequent.

Decent, regular water changes can handle most of the rest, unless you start stocking very heavily.

5. highfive

highfive

I fell for the supplements trap...
    Daily doses of Stronium, Magnesium... 'don't worry about testing, they will be removed by your skimmer within the day...' was the comment...

Well... within a week my tank was a Diatom atomic bomb... Thanks to Mango for pointing out the errors of my ways...

My recomendation is : Ask the forum first, especially the more experienced reefers before visiting the LFS.

6. palmerc

palmerc

You got to know what you are doing. Midasblenny doses supplements daily (incl. Sr and Mg I think), but he knows his system, products and chemistry.

7. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Thanks again. I will stay away from the 'snake oil" :lol:

Recent Posts