Additives... Is it needed?

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by Annoying, 4 Jul 2011.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey everyone

Just a quick question. Is it needed to give additives to a tank if you target feed your corals weekly to bi-weekly? I'm only talking about softies and LPS which is able to feed easily and with success. The food being high protein and vitamin foods like mussels and hake pieces etc. In the food most of the needed minerals and vitamins are found like calcium, iodide, etc. What would your opinions be, main reason I'm asking is that a lot of what we dose in the tank just gets skimmed out of the tank a few days after. If we target feed the coral then we know it gets it's nutrients.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

only dose if your tests show that there is a shortage of something. or thats my opinion. i hardly ever dose anything,think regular water changes(and maybe the food) replaces everything thats needed. with different corals you gonna need different things.

4. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Ya also one thing we don't always have the money to pay for all the test kits for ost of the stuff and then you pay R200 a bottle of what you need at that moment. By doing regular water changes and feeding the corals do you think we can eliminate the need of additive, again this is for softies and LPS

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I agree. when i started I bought calcium,mg,iodene,stronthium and started dosing without test kits. luckily got given better advice.stopped dosing. all the bottles still full.Now I might dose ca once in a while and always add a kh buffer to my water changes. but all the rest I never dose. All my corals are 100% and never lost a fish.touch wood.the 2, 25% water changes a week seems to sort out all my needs. But I think if you have sps or alot corals you'll probably need to add something.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2011
  6. AndrévN

AndrévN

Just a reminder if you run activated carbon you need to test as it does remove trace elements especially iodine, they actually test the absorbent rate of activated carbon by using iodine. And this if you have corals, becomes a must to be replaced. Strontium also gets removed by the skimmer or so i read. I run a huge calcium reactor and this replaces all my trace elements required.

7. rakabos

rakabos

Regular water changes and almost no additives is what ive done and the tank is doing great in terms of growth. I will add a dash of calcium and iodide once a week

8. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

If you're talking about feeding softies then the ASW you use in Hoedspruit won't cut it. Charl and myself use NSW and that contains lots of plankton.

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree :thumbup:

10. sihaya

sihaya

I think most LPS benefit from a bi-weekly target feeding of small chunked meaty stuff. They do survive without it, but from what I've seen, they do seem to grow faster and generally do better when they get those extra feedings. (so long as it's small chunks and the water quality is maintained)

11. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

what would you feed a torch and a candy cane? and how big a piece can it eat?

12. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

I feed my Hammer and bubble very small pieces of mussel about 2-4mm sizes (the best is to feed with a tweezers), also feed brine shrimp. They love it

13. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

would you feed a candy cane?

14. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

It's not needed to feed as most of their food they get from lighting but extra food will help growth and colour and to restore wasted nutrients. So I would have fed but depends on you and the time you have as normally it takes a while to feed.

Recent Posts