additives for new tank

Reaction score
Hi,
Starting up my new tank and would like to know what i need to add to the water to start the cycle.
I have some live rock and base rock.
What else do I need.

You will get alot of die off from the live rock which will start the cycle. Dosing sea chem stability will help to increase the bacteria growth and shorten the cycle abit

hi like Tremayn said stability and prime as well, and dose for 7 days and do small water changes and pls leave light off while tank cycles

Thanks, Will try all that when the dry run is complete. ( still wondering why do they call it a dry run when it fact you still using normal water.)

Another question,
What should the salinity in the tank be. I see people state from 1.024 to 1.026.

Depends on what u planning on keeping coral/fish wise. But a good number is anywhere between 1.024 and 1.026 ;)

That salinity range is fine, use biodigest, biotim and stop ammo.
My tank is sycling a bit over a week now and all the corals and fish are doing fine and look happy.
O yea and life rock.

Last edited:
Thanks, Will try all that when the dry run is complete. ( still wondering why do they call it a dry run when it fact you still using normal water.)

what do you mean by dry run? Are you currently running your system with freshwater?

I was told to run the system with fresh water for a few days to check for leaks before putting ro water in it.

Nope, Just water. Live rock and base rock in different containers with the proper water that I got from my friend.
The water was just to check that all is working. Drained the tak last night as I found a leak on teh plumbing and needs to be fixed. Will be filling the tank the week end with the ro water and salt mixture. That is why i asked what else needs to be added to the water to start the cycle.

why not add some Mollies , to get the cycle going .... will add some activity to the tank while waiting for the 4-6 week period for the tank cycle to be running properly

why not add some Mollies

you should never add livestock to a tank while cycling.
There is enough die off in the liverock to get the cycling going.

And what happens to the mollies once cycling is done?

Back
Top Bottom