Addition filter capacity - query

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ojdewet, 14 Jul 2008.

1. ojdewet

ojdewet

Hi there Hennie I hope you can assist. I have a phosphate reactor from my old marine aquarium which is currently not in use as I have moved to a freshwater aquarium due to time constraints. Can I increase my current filter capacity (to support my external canister filter) with a fluidised bed of silica gravel? If not, what would be a suitable filtration medium in the fluidised bed?

Regards
    OJ

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yes, it should work very well - just use a very fine-grained sand, as that would result in the largest possible surface area for bacterial colonization.

Depending on the type of tank you're keeping, it might be advantageous to rather use a very fine calcium-containing sand (such as aragonite or crushed dolomite) to increase the water's hardness and raise pH for a rift-valley biotope (Malawi cichlids), whilst a silica-type sand would be more appropriate to an Amazon or far-east biotope with soft-water species such as discus, anabantoids, neon tetras, etc.

Hennie

4. ojdewet

ojdewet Thread Starter

Thank you - I have discus in the tank so will use silica sand.

Regards
    OJ

Recent Posts