Adding sand??

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Nism0, 7 Feb 2012.

1. Nism0

Nism0

Hi guys and gals,

I have a sand bed in the sump which is 6cm shallow. Being used as a refuge at the moment for a mildly agro Six Line, some LR and Cheato ball.

After some research i found that adding sand to a DSB has to be done very slowly.
    I have roughly 24kg of sugarfine aragonite that needs to go into this DSB. Adding 24kg at a cup or two per week seems like an EPIC waste of time.

As my "DSB" is not really a true DSB at the moment, cant i just add all the sand at once? Or will this cause a tank crash?
    :support:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

You can add it all at once, just get Seachem Stability and dose... :thumbup:

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If it is an already established sand bed with life forms living within it then the sand must be added slowly, no more than 1cm deep per week I think was the recommendation. The reason for this is to allow the life forms and bacteria living within the sand bed to migrate upwards through the new sand, otherwise if you dump it all in at once the majority of life within the sand bed will die and may possibly cause an ammonia spike which will be detrimental to your tank.

crispin likes this.
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

No, adding stuff is not the answer to everything. And how would dead material trapped under 9cm of sand decomposed. How would Stability oxygen loving bacteria reach down 9cm.

As Viper said, add 1cm per week, only 9 weeks until you reach 15cm.
    2 months and a bit.

6. crispin

crispin

dosing products doesnt do anything to compensate for poor reefing. Nothing good happens fast.....take your time and add the sand slowly!

7. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Cool, a cm a week it is. Thanks guys. MASA to the rescue yet again. :thumbup:

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Agree, but as it is a refugium and not a DSB could the top layer (15-20mm) of refugium aragonite not be syphoned off into a bucket with all the critters and aerobic life and then the new gravel added and then the top layer returned?

I would also split the refugium (front and back ) in two. So each week one is increasing only half the refugium giving the other half time to develop more.

But i suppose the Q of why the need to increase the sand in the first place.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2012
  9. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

The thing is I dont have a DSB and only 26kg of live rock in a 300litre setup. I figure a DSB is the way to go and 60mm of sand is not a true DSB as i understand it? :huh:

Currently my system is having a nice algae bloom including hair and purple slime. I feed flakes twice a day and also plankton and some brine shrimp once a week. Not sure if this is too much but the fish and corals seem happy and growing. But this could be due to the 50litre water change once a week keeping the nutrients in check. I would like to do only 25% every two weeks though.

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

That is fine. In your refugium do you have a lot of critters? and how long has the refugium been running?

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

12. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks viper357 (Eish, that link, she is broken atm)

@Nemos Janitor

I only bought the tank a couple of weeks ago. According the previous owner it was well established (more than a year)
    But i cant say that i have seen much (or any for that matter) in the form of critters. I recently put some LR from the tank in there to hopefully get some critter activity, but then i had to sump the Six line which doesnt help the refuge.

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I see,

OK i would look at dividing the refuge in half with a bit of ASB. Then syphon off about 15mm of the back half of the argonite. Then add about 15mm new aragonite then put the syphoned aragonite back on top. Continue to do this until the back half is the height you want. Then you can start with the front half. Once completed just remove the divider. This way at least half of your now DSB will be working at all times.

Nism0 likes this.
  14. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. :peroni:

Recent Posts