Adding more live rock in a 5 month tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by mandrin, 21 Oct 2011.

1. mandrin

mandrin

Hi guys ..i have the a very small marine tank with live rock .....
    and coral and fish and live rock ..was wanting to add more live rock in it
    was wondering wats your advise is on this ..
    thanks guys ......

Last edited: 21 Oct 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacoc

jacoc

are you refering to your 37l tank...if so how much l/r is in it at the moment? my opinion is the more l/r the beter...as l/r in time can run a tank without any other filtration...depending on load..

4. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

yes i am refering to my 37 l tank ...
    i have bout 3kg in there now ...
    would like to get more to make it look like a reef, and for filteration and grow more pods ,cause i like to get a mandrin later on ...
    but if i do buy more live rock ...can i jus put it in my tank or wat shud i do

5. jacoc

jacoc

I dont think a manderin will survive for to long in a small tank ...they need space and a verry matured tank ..it will probably eat every thing in a few weeks or days then what will yiu feed it? ..this is what i read from others exp...

if it is matured l/r then yes you can ..if its not matured then small amounts at a time over e few weeks/ months...it would be beter to ad matured this way you ad more bacteria...
    I have a 38l tank with 8kg lr in it ...I had about 12kg in it before i moved begining of the month but took some out so there is a bit more swiming space for the fish .... and its doing well sofar with all water params in tack without freq water changes...you cant go wrong with ading more..

6. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I doubt there will be a problem sir :whistling:

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

sounds like you have a bit of rock. Maybe just add 1 nicely shaped rock. Its the corals that will make your tank look like a reef. You need to keep room for corals and fish otherwise you will end up having a LR tank lol :) ... You wont be able to sustain a mandrin in such a small tank.. How about a pic of your tank?

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Definitely a NO GO on the mandarin, even with double your rock. With regards to adding more, in dsuch a small volume you should not add anything unless fully cured, and by that I don't mean by LFS standard. No ammonia should be detectable,, no nitrite either. Cure some in a seperate container before adding it.

9. Tony

Tony

You can add more live rock as long as it's fully cured from the pet shop and you add it to your tank straight away. Cured live rock wont smell dead or decaying but rather have a pleasant sea smell. On the negative side your tank is way to small to add a mandarin. The fish will quickly decimate the pod population in no time and slowly starve to death. They are extremely finnicky eaters which seldom, if never take to prepared food. Unless you can get a steady supply of pods, I would leave this fish out

10. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

thanks guys i take the advise very serioulsy ....will put a pic up of my little tank soon
    as for the live rock wioll go down to the LFS later and check for cured rock ......well i also had thoughts about mandrin ...i have a little refuguim ..with LR only was wondering if i cud sort of rotate rocks in there to keep him hapy with pods ...think it mite work

Last edited: 24 Oct 2011
  11. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Doubt it, you gonna need quite a few rocks to keep him happy. And the stress of constant aquascaping changes in a small tank just to provide him with a few snacks.........
    Sorry Mate, get a bigger tank.

Recent Posts