Adding Calcium/Kalk with ATU

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Kunhardt, 7 Jul 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I just added an Auto top up to my system. My question is now how do I add my kalk? I was using the drip method from a 2L bottle, but this isnt very practical now with the ATU.

Should I mix the kalk with RO and then pour that mixture into my ATU container? Or should I maybe change to a once a week calcium suppliment, that gets added directly to the system?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Hmmm tagging along as i will also be doing it this way with my ATO.

Also how much kalk shoudl be added?

4. Andreas

Andreas

Yes you can add the kalk directly to the RO in your top up tank.

The problem with dosing kalk with a AT is that the addition of CA/ALK is dependant on the evaportion rate. If you are running a chiller on your system(low temp) you might not get enough evaporation taking place thus your CA/ALK levels wont be at the desired levels.

You can add about 10-15 g per 25 l container. I dose kalk via the slurry method and also add it to my RO reservoir.:)But just note that dosing kalk increases the pH quite dramatocally so caution should be taken;)

5. Andreas

Andreas

Just to add you can add a fan to increase the evaporation level and help increase the addition of kalk:p

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks Andreas, I will then add the kalk to my RO reservoir. I lose about 2L of water a day to evaporation and was dripping 2L of kalk mix into the tank daily so on that front i am fine. With regard to pH increases, I am using Brightwells Alk 8.3, which doesnt allow the pH to increase over 8.3, that and the fact I havent had any pH fluctuations over the time I have been adding kalk to my tank makes me feel I am covered there too.

7. Tony

Tony

Kurnhardt, I'm with Andreas on this one but I would add to drip your kalk seperately as you have been doing

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Be careful of adding kalk directly, as the ATU pump will eventually clog up and stop working probably.

A safer way is making up a 2l mixture of kalk and let the precipitate settle and then only add the liquid. Basically siphon off just above the precipitate level.

If this is enough will depend on your Ca consumption. If you have SPS, Clams etc. you may need to supplement with slurry, CaRx or other Calcium additives

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks guy, I was in fact planning on making up the kalk in the old 2L bottle i was using and then pouring off the water into the top up. But what u say makes sense Warr, this may infact not be enough to keep my Calcium up. I will take Tony's advice here and probably drip the kalk seperately from the top up, but will also maybe look into a calcium additive as stated above, we get a product called Insta-Cal here thats reasonably cheap.

Recent Posts