Adding aragonite question

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by hamzah, 24 Feb 2013.

1. hamzah

hamzah

howsit

my tank has been cycling for 8 days now , i have +- 25kgs livesand in but the problem is i get sandstorms ,tried moving wavemakers around but have failed to stop storms ,my question is should i remove the livesand and add aragonite or can i add aragonite ontop of livesand ?

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

its a complex question and a can be difficult to get right. What size are the particles of the live sand and how much flow do you have in what size tank. It could be that you just need to cut back on flow?

Substrate will stay more stable as the tank matures. a good sand bed has lots of small micro organisms (worms etc) that help bind the particles together, although if your flow is too high that wont help.

by ading aragonite to the top of your sand bed you may well be adding a layer of heavier particles ontop and thus hold the lighter smaller sand particles down a little, but if you stir that sand bed up in future you will negate this effect. I have seen a number of tanks whereby people run a deep sand bed in tank and they stratify layers of very fine, fine, semi course and course material and build a sand bed like that. It works well so long as you dont disturb things.

personally having said all of that, if its not a case of too much flow in too small a tank I would look at replacing a fine substrate with aragonite and be done with the problems.

4. hamzah

hamzah Thread Starter

livesand particles are extreamly fine ,tank is 1.3 x 600 x 500 so a lil bigger than the standard 4 foot tanks ,have a sun sun 5ooolph in tank and also a 12000lph sun sun which i cant use ,maybe its best i remove livesand and add aragonite .do i remove live sand all at once or do it gradually?

thanks @crispin

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. crispin

crispin

with the tank being so new, id remove it all at once. But dont throw it away, it would make a great substrate for a dsb if you have space in your sump, or build in a remote dsb. Do you know much about dsb's and how they work?

6. hamzah

hamzah Thread Starter

yep iv read alot about dsbs but im running cubes . ill remove and keep it maybe use it for something later on ,thanks for all your help

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

are there any rocks in the tank? If none, I can understand the sand being blown away. Anyway sand tands to stick together later on when the life in the sand settles in.

Alternative is to point the pumps towards the surface.

Lastly.
    Pictures do tell a thousand words. Just saying.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I do have real sea sand in my display. Really fine and the fish like the gobies do move it around. Not the pumps anymore.

9. hamzah

hamzah Thread Starter

hi @RiaanP , added rock 8 days ago , i have the powerhead facing the surface still blows the sand all over ,ill take a pic and upload tom evening

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts