Adding Additional Live Rock

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Benanna, 23 Jul 2011.

1. Benanna

Benanna

My tank has been running for 10 months now and would consider it reasonably mature.

Our LFS has some nice new LR from Indonesia or Malaysia (can't remember now) which arrived day before yesterday. Therefore, it has not cured yet. It however has minimal growth in terms of sponges etc.

There is a piece that I would really like and don't want it to be sold before I get.

Another reefer at the store mentioned that if my tank was mature enough I could add it to my tank without curing. Would this be a problem. Thoughts please.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I would be inclined to say yes thats fine...maybe just rinse the piece of liverock off in a some salt water and make sure its free of any detritus or dying matter.

What is the size of your system and the size of the rock though...this would also be a factor though... ie. Small nano and biggish piece of liverock probably wouldnt be a good idea.

4. Evo R

Evo R

Also keep the new piece of rock in a bucket with some salt water, heater and some form of flow. Try and suspend it in the middle of the water colem and leave it there for a day or two.So if there are any hitch-hikers they dont end up in you DT.

5. Benanna

Benanna Thread Starter

My DT dimensions are 1200 x 550 x 550 with skimmer sump and main DSB sump. Total volume just under 400L. The size of rock is slightly smaller than a volley ball, but very porous with lots of holes.

Here is picture of my DT.

[​IMG]

6. KeeganP

KeeganP

vey cool tank hey

7. Tony

Tony

Nice tank. I like it the way it is. Sometimes less is better, however, if you want to add more rock make sure its fully cured from the pet shop. A way to tell if a rock is cured is to pick it up and smell it. If it smells like the sea with no rotting or decomposing odours then it's cool to add it. if you are apprehensive then add it to a bucket of salt water with an airstone and heater, and leave it there for a week or two

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I will rather keep it in a bucket or small tank with heater and flow for some time. Just to ensure no hitch hikers are present. Alao allow time for whatever is dead inside to decompose. Until the rotten smell is gone. Try to suspend or place it on a stand. So that the rubish can drain. Pick it up and rinse it every day, helping to flush out sand and detritus. You will be amazed how many sand like stuff will be in the bottom of the tub or tank.

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Are you sure its not cured? Does it smell bad...most of the time live rock that has come in is ok...I have added new pieces to my tanks over the years without seeing any adverse effects...I would think in that size tank you would be fine.

As the other guys said if you are worried then place it in another container for a week or two with an airstone and heater.

10. jacoc

jacoc

Then this is matured live rock...there may be crabs in the rock so as mentioned already suspend it in a bucket or use a syringe with fresh water and squirt the water in all holes to see if any hitchikers come out this could take a few minutes the fresh water will expose the crab and if the rock is hitchiker free you can add it to your tank...

your tank has done a good cyce...it takes years for a new system to mature to a stage where it can handel setbacks...pls dont take it for granted that you can now already start stocking what ever and over feeding...maturity takes time and that will eventualy be the sucsess of your system...be patient and the hart of eny matured setup is live rock the more rock the less you have to spend on gadgets and adetives to maintain a healthy system...so my advice rather spend mony wise in the urly stages on live rock and slower on live stock...keep ading that rock you are on the wright track..

Last edited: 23 Jul 2011
  11. Benanna

Benanna Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I did smell the rock and it was slightly fowl, not that nice fresh sea smell. It is such nice rock, maybe I will get some and cure myself as suggested. Thanks again.

Recent Posts