Adding a New Display Tank to My Exsisting Sump..

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brentv, 7 May 2012.

1. brentv

brentv

Hey Guys..

Have an idea to plumb in-line my new cube I'm building 900x900x600.

into my existing 2700x600x600 filteration system..

Trying to think of the best way for the return, by adding another return pump to the existing sump return compartment will it cause to much flow through the filter compartments??

Attached a basic sketch of placement and some pics of my sump
    [​IMG]
    Remote DSB & Refugium
    [​IMG]

Existing Sump

[​IMG]

Ideas???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

Will the new cube make the whole system cycle again?

4. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Hey Express,
    Yes and No,
    I was thinking of adding a seperate return pump in the same compartment as the other one so both tanks overflows would land up first in the remote DSB, so in a way they would mix from there and get pumper their seperate ways.
    Basically my thoughts on this is, when I do water changes, doing it in one system, same as dosing, chiller, skimming everything...
    My new lets call it Remote Display Tank would be really an incoming and outgoing plumb and tank would have circulation pumps and lights!!!
    What I could do I guess is put valves on each of the return pumps if I find the water flowrate is to high and tap it off if need be:whistling:

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Basically what I'm doing. I got one return pump a Water Blaster 5000L/h that pumps water via a garden irrigation splitter to 4 separate tanks. First to my 350L display, another line to a 220L second display. a 200L remote DSB and to a 40L cryptic zone.

And they all flow back to my skimmer chamber.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That is the splitter
    [​IMG]

And this is the returns, The 350L is the first downpipe, going into a baffle of sorts, the 220L, remote DSB and cryptic all join up and goes into that basket you see there. Its to be able to catch pieces of cheato that breaks off before the block the skimmer pump.
    [​IMG]

7. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Hi Riaan, thanks for the explanation and the visuals:thumbup:
    My 2,7's return is a 5000L which is operating at a good flow/return rate so I don't wanna branch of this pump... and I already bought a 4000L for the cube when it was going to be "Self Sufficient"
    You reckon a total of 9000L might be a bit of a work load for my 2 DSB's??
    I guess I could tap both pumps back a bit??:blush:
    I was also give an idea from a reefer to build a 'crows nest' idea of having a tank higher than both display tanks and a pump feeds into this holding tank which then flows to both DT's?
    But again I have already bought the 4000L return pump:whistling:

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

your existing DSB, how wide (front to back) is it?
    I found that a DSB needs stronger flow that the old advocated 3 to 5 times turnover of your display.
    The water level above the last divider, the distance between the glass and the actual water level (overflow head height) should be at least 6mm up to 10mm.

9. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Hey Riaan,
    The remote DSB is 800 x 900 and the old one is 500x500 with a water height of just over 300 (150 over top of substrate!).
    I have a nice large return chamber 500x250 water level height at 300.

10. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

This is all my Equipment that I was going to use for my 900x900x700 cube.
    I am able to plumb this tank into my other existing tank, so I do not need loads of equipment, all rated for a 1000L Tank or less.
    BRAND NEW

300A Hailea Chiller - R3250
    2X 10 000l Wavepumps with intelligent controller -R3700
    PH Controller & Monitor - R1550
    Calcium Reactor - R1260
    CO2 Aliminium Cylinder & Regulator - R1650
    Nitrated Reductor reactor (With Balls) - R1260
    Media Reactors -R550

I will be coming up to the AquariumExpo2012 in Joburg so if anyone needs I can bring with me, or Durbs guys I am there every 2 weeks!:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Nur

Nur Starz

whats in those red bottles?

12. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Hi Nur,
    Well spotted:tt2:
    All the Bottles are trace elements, coral food etc the red ones are a bacteria blend.
    All very concentrated stuff, Brand is called Haquoss, According to the Aliminium bottles made in Germany, Designed in Italy??!!:blush: Gonna test on my Tank:)
    Do we get this stuff in SA, it is designed by Doctor Knob:whistling:
    Check here osCommerce

13. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Guys one problem I might forsee with adding this new cube to my existing tanks whole filteration set up is that my 2.7M is full of fish and mix of softies, LPS, SPS, anemones, zoa's etc so its got probably a higher nutrient load than what is gonna be needed for the SPS Cube!
    the return pumps are gonna be in the same compartment, but thinking of maybe putting some form of post filteration (Maybe in-line) from the return pump that is going to the cube to lesson nutrients that might go in??:blush:

Dont wanna do a whole seperate filteration for this unit as they can all run off my Skimmer, Chiller, reactors etc..

14. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Bumpety bump... need advice on this:whistling:

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

ok Brent, now that I saw your system and setup. Here is what I think.

From the new cube in the house, the overflow runs with a 50mm PVC through the wall towards the outside container. Before entering that container, I would use ballvalves to split the line. One line entering the container, the other bypassing the container. Inside the contanier there shuld be a standpipe, open end at the max water level, so that it can just overflow. The inlet should run all the way to the bottom. The result will be that water from the cube will "enter" at the bottom, and overflow at the top.

The container outlet must first go down a bit, then it can join up again with the other line that bypass the drum. The setup should be so that the bypass if completely open do not flow uphill back into the container. From there one 50mm PVC pipe into your fish room, entering the remote DSB or main sump.

Advantage with the remote DSB is that you use one less pump in the main sump. Main sump then got 2 pumps. One to the main 2.7m system, the other pump with a line to the cube. I would again use ballvalves to redirect the flow from the container to remote DSB. Similar setup, splitting it in 2 lines that joins up again between remote DSB and main sump.

The advantage of the ballvalves before the outside container is that it allows you to isolate it. It needs a drain ballvalve also at the bottom. Then you can drain it and refill it with fresh seawater. Also allows you to open the ballvalve so that the new water gets introduced slowly and on second day you can open the valves completely.

Enjoy the plumbing....

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And yes, the outside container must be below the Cube overflow level. Including the ballvalves etc that might be above the lid. If needed, you can put on the highest point above the container a T piece pointing up, with standpipe higher than the cube water level. Can block it off with female end cap with 5mm hole or 2 drilled into it. That would take care of air locks.

Obvious the same between the container and the remote DSB. Container must be higher than the remote DSB. Also high enough so that the bottom drain can be used to empty the tank into a 20L drum when needed.

17. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan, you have given me a good few ideas..
    Gonna chat to Rototank guys about a few inlet and outlet points!
    This tank is gonna help a hellova lot for water changes!!!:thumbup:

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Very much the same idea I have with the changes I want to make. Will do my drawing and forward it to you.

19. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Sounds good, post it here:thumbup:
    I have a couple of slightly different ideas so lets check how your design comes out, Thanks Riaan;)

Recent Posts