Actual water volume vs swimming space.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by magman, 11 Sep 2009.

1. magman

magman

What are the guidlines of adding addittional water volume to your system, and increasing your percecent of inmates.

Say for example you take a 50l nano, and it is full with 1 liitle chromis in, add a 1000l flow bin to it, you could pack the tangs in there sort of like a box of bait sardines.

I know your first concern would have to be over crowding and fish compatbility would be tested, some species like tangs need the physical swimming space, others like damsels want less inhabitants, but generally what would be the guidlines of adding more volume and increasing your tank inmates. :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Let me try and answer the question;

Volume: The bigger the water volume the more stability you add to the entire system. Thus, if you have a 100 litre tank and have a 1000 sumpt, you have one stable system, as total volume is 1100. Thus, if you have multiple tanks in your house, and can connect them all together, to one massive sump - you are well on your way. LFS tanks works this way. Imagine each small tank having its own skimmer, sump etc. :lol:

Swimming space: Even if you have 1000 litre sump, and only have a 100 litre DT, you will not be able to keep many fish i.e tangs. The require space the "stretch their legs" and also they take up larger territory in the wild, thus need this space in our tanks. Clown for example would occupy a single anemone, and only stick to that spot for most of it's life.

So do not mistake total volume with space. Volume = stability and space = swimming area. ;)

MOre volume would be able to handle more bio load I recon, but still overcrowding will become an issue...

4. magman

magman Thread Starter

Thanks Jaco, I agree especially with stability, I am sure stability is the most important factor in any marine enviroment, but then getting back to what you said about swimming space, can you pack the tangs into a 6foot tank, as long as they can swim past each from one side of the tank to the other, provided your system was stable enough.

I know this is leading to over crowding, but then look at clowns as you said don't need space, all they want is there nemmie.

5. Sentari

Sentari

Not all LFS run like this due to contamination of disease. Most of them run 3 tanks on the same sump.

Most fish also need room to swim. Most people have a heart and understand the stress fish are put through. Also to put this in a different aspect imagine how it would feel if you had a 1m x 1m room instead of a 10m x 10m room and everything that goes with that.

6. seank

seank

Well said Sentari

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Its like cramming 10 people into a little office space. Does not matter that you got the biggest aircon unit blowing in air, fantastic views over the city. You still need just that little bit of space to put a family photo on your desk. And to surf MASA without half the office reading your posts.

Certain fish, like Yellow Tail Blue damsel needs his personal 30*30cm space. And he will defend that. So they all need a space according to their need.

But now another viewpoint. look at the LFS, they have 10 Yellow Tail Blue Damsels in a 30L tank. No fighting, and all seems to be ok? So how does that work?

Well normally, there will be no LR or hiding places. meaning no place to claim and defend. This leads to another viewpoint, with overcrowding, that it eventually becomes useless to defend a spot. You chase somebody out to the right and another enters from the left. and he chases you again. So at the end all gives up and no issue anymore. This is why I think some guys get away with way to many Tangs for their tank size.

This implies another thing, you can not increase the stock level slowly. Must be done quickly so that no territories can be claimed. Even this is not 100% true. Doing a re-landscape and his spot is gone.

BUT, big problem when power goes and you do not have circulation anymore.

I base the above on the old setup that Puppy had. He overstocked. And got away with it until a big power outage.

Recent Posts