Activated Carbon

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Pete, 26 Jun 2010.

1. Pete

Pete

Hi all would like to know if anybody uses the Aqua Medic super carbolit, and if they are happy with it. One more question would be what flow rate should one be putting through your reactor to get the best out of your activated carbon

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

It's great Pete.;) The best I know.

You just want a steady flow that does not cause the carbon to grind against itself (or it can disintegrate into powder and end up in the tank.) Larger carbon sizes allows the water to flow past easier as it does not block and chanel to the same extent.

Pete likes this.
  4. Trev

Trev

Im not using that peticular charcoal but to answer your other question I am running about 35ltr/hr on mine

5. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

Thanks to both. Trev I have heard the flow rate should be about 2L a min/120L/H thus my question would like to make sure before I go and do a whole lot of plumbing changes

6. Trev

Trev

Just put a flow valve after the reactor and then you can change it but mine is much slower that 2 ltr/min

7. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

This might be in but the wrong thread to mention it in but if you look at threads in distilling alcohol one often see warnings about the poor quality of carbon supplied in the hobby industry. And if you look at prices of industrial carbon as is for instance used in bigger water purification systems one is shocked by the price difference. Are we buying at fair prices or do we perhaps pay premium prices for brand name stuff? I am not raising this to cause harm to any of our suppliers and I do not accuse them of ripping us off. I would like to learn why these people is specifically mentioning our hobby.

8. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

excellent point !

like any specialized industry we pay huge $$ for things readily available in other industries .... BUT they order in quantities that we cannot compete with .... The Koi industry is another like the example you have given !

9. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

Thanks Trev am going to do that was just wanting to see what everybodys thoughts where on the flow rate

10. Pete

Pete Thread Starter

Any one else

11. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

I have tried in the past to source carbon on a larger scale, and really struggled. I tried super high grade stuff too, that was expensive. It was just as bad.

They all have huge amounts of PO4 in them. Getting PO4-free stuff never happenend. :)

I use the aqua medic carbon, it works well and is well priced.

12. SIMS

SIMS

did you ever test the po4 rob?

Recent Posts