Activated carbon placement

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by geoffrey, 21 Apr 2008.

1. geoffrey

geoffrey

Im currently using a canister filter filled with activated carbon. IMO increses amount of water and flow... but i want to get rid of it. its noisy and its my source of nitrates in my tank. now im left with this activated carbon. can i just put it in my sump before my skimmer? will there be enough flow?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

i always placed it in the second chamber were you have your ceramics, just rember to place it in a bag.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You can put it in the sump in a bag, that's fine, just once a week or so knead the bag a bit to prevent channeling.

5. geoffrey

geoffrey Thread Starter

shot guys. will do! canister filters are a :nono: guys my nitrates are down to 50! i think! cant really read my test kit propperly. but the RO water seems to be working. will do another 20% next week.

6. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Glad things are getting better man!:thumbup:

7. geoffrey

geoffrey Thread Starter

Oi lanzo what do u think about TETRA test kits? i got the nitrate and nitrite...

8. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

they are better than red sea but next time go for tropic marine, they are very very good.

9. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Carbon placement...Good question... Easy answer. There is a specific order for maximizing filtration component efficiency: Mechanical>Biological>Chemical. By placing your carbon before your skimmer, you are severely reducing its efficiency. A large part of what the skimmer can remove, the carbon will either trap or try and adsorb. Carbon should be last in line, followed only by specialized water polishing resins, to maximize its efficiency.

10. geoffrey

geoffrey Thread Starter

shoto ivan. just 1 little prob.my skimmer is in the last chamber of my sump. should i just put the carbon in the same chamber?

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Turn your sump around Geoffrey, your skimmer needs to be first in line.

12. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

in my case.reactor pump is in the return chamber and Carbon is changed every 2 weeks.

13. naptalene

naptalene

What are the chances of it being sucked into the return pumps intake? Got a Rio. I just started running it near the skimmer:whistling: 'cause i was worried about that.

Will try it in the last chamber.

14. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

If in a filter bag.....almost nothing

15. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Hi Guys , i see you talking about Cannisters , i know many of you dont use them ,
    is there a reason for this (sorry i am new to marines) .
    i have 2 FX5 fluvals on my freshwater tank and i see i the media booklet there are products for marines .
    is it advisable to use the cannister or not ?
    thanks

16. FransSny

FransSny

dean

my opinion is that a canister can work in a proper setup ie sump, skimmer, dsb if you can etc, but more as a reactor for phos remover, carbon etc.

i ran mine for the first 7 months on my tank and just had it filled with LR & carbon. up to now i still am not sure if removing it has made any significant impact

BUT then again i have a sump, skimmer, phos reactor, DSB and run carbon in my sump so....not sure about my observations.

The biggest thing i have against cannisters are the high level of flow through them is a bit much to create an effective "reactor effect" MHO only

Also i think you can get the same effect without the use of a canister ...rather use the electricity utelised by the canister to run extra flow INSIDE your DT.:)

viper357 likes this.
Recent Posts